Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Advertising to children  (Read 5372 times)

Offline LisaA

• Alumni
Advertising to children
« on: March 28, 2007, 08:12:58 AM »
Study finds that kids are seeing ads for unhealthy foods:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/03/28/BAGQVOSU7V23.DTL

Offline KatyJ

• Alumni
Re: Advertising to children
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 03:23:14 PM »
We can't control the advertisers. They can advertise what they want. So, it seems to me that to have an impact we have to reach the kids in another way. I think programs in the school, like Alice Waters' program, where the kids grow the food and cook it, offers the greatest opportunity for impact. They learn in an experiencial way, what wholesome foods are and they learn about how the food companies attempt to manipulate their choices through advertising. Programs like these can also be funded by each local community, which seems more feasible from a financial perspective.

Offline RebeccaK

• Alumni
Re: Advertising to children
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 09:36:36 AM »
Hi - I read this article when it first came out and found it very interesting. I agree that we need to create strong educational campaigns to help children make healthier choices on their own - and teaching them the value of fruits and veggies through a local gardening program is a great start.

However, I also believe that we must put pressure on the advertisers and the food manufacturers to be more socially responsible with regard to children. We are all aware of the growing epidemic of childhood obesity, and this article links this issue to television ads for junk food. While the article points out that food manufacturers are starting to produce lower-calorie products with more whole grains and fiber, it will be a long time before these products are truly 'healthy' products.

Articles like this begin exposing some of the issues that contribute to obesity, and other ills. We can and should take advantage of these studies to further our cause of providing healthy food with real nutritional value to the population at large - especially the young folks who are most impressionable by flashy advertising and marketing campaigns.

Rebecca Krueger