Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Cookie Recipe Request!  (Read 3024 times)

Offline EmiliaW

• Alumni
    • Wine and Butter
Cookie Recipe Request!
« on: September 15, 2010, 06:01:43 AM »
Hiya

I absolutely LOVE chocolate chip cookies and could happily eat them every single day. Since I started trying to be healthier Ive been sort of obsessed with Nanas Cookies, which are fruit juice sweetened, whole grain and INSANELY expensive. Ive decided I have to start baking my own – on an occasional basis of course .

Does anyone have any good recipes for moist and chewy wholegrain choc chip cookies that are fruit juice sweetened? Im quite sensitive to sugar and seem to do much better with fruit juice or agave – but I am aware that any fruit juice concentrate is likely to be just as low, if not lower, in nutrients as less refined pure sugar. Does anyone have an opinion on this? If it would be far better for me to eat a little sucant (sp?), Im very open to less sweet recipes using that.

I also think I would prefer them not be gluten free as Im hoping (in the name of my own lack of self control) to bring in any extras to the office, and Im not sure how much I can hit them with at once…

Any suggestions VERY gratefully received. Oh and I don’t have a dehydrator. Or a food processor ( + )

Thanks x

Offline Nicole

Re: Cookie Recipe Request!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 01:29:08 PM »
Search for:   "Cookies you can eat! (Wheat, egg, dairy & sugar-cane free!)"
in the search bar.

(It's not my post, so I didn't want to copy&paste it, but I think this is what you're looking for! :) )

Offline EstherPa

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 11:15:14 AM »
I have a chocolate chip cookie recipe that we've played with over the years as my children are growing up.  My personal feeling about sweets is that I choose the very best quality ingredients and cycle these through mixed between cookies with less chocolate and more diverse nutrition.  Both are more crunchy cookies than gooey--I simply didn't want to add the butter and sugar required for a gooey cookie.  From my experience, gooey cookies result from brown sugar, small amounts of corn syrup or cornstarch, lots of BUTTER, undercooking slightly and removing from the pans to cool.  Search the internet if you are looking for recipes like that.  Feel good about your choices, enjoy cooking, and savor them!!!  I also have a recipe for Chocolate Chip Peppermint cookies.  If you'd like that one based on what I have posted here, let me know and I can post it also.  (It is similar to this one.)  Or look up the basic recipe in Vegan World Fusion Cuisine and alter it for your liking. 

Crisp Chocolate Chip Cookies
Dry ingredients:spelt flour
2 c. rolled oats (not quick cooking)
2 c. walnuts, chopped
1/2 c. flax seeds, ground
1 t. sea salt
1/2 t. baking soda
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 package quality dark chocolate chips and/or pkg of chocolate nibs
Options:  1-2 c. tart dried cherries--adds balance to the sweet--if you go that direction you can also add
   1 T. orange zest
   5 drops orange therapeutic quality essential oil (I use Young Living)

Wet ingredients:
3/4 c. butter (melted) or canola or walnut  oil (yum!)
1/2 c. agave nector

4 c. wheat pastry or 1/2 c. succanot
2 T. molasses
2 t. vanilla
1/2 c. water--more as needed to hold together
2 eggs

Mix everything together, mold into large T. balls, put on ungreased cookie sheet and bake 350 for 6-8 minutes.  Makes 58 cookies so makes plenty to freeze or share with others.  Enjoy!

Offline EstherPa

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 11:25:17 AM »
The spelt flour amount did not come through on last post.  It is 4 c. whole wheat pastry or spelt flour or combination of both.  Rest of recipe looks intact.  Esther

Offline EmiliaW

• Alumni
    • Wine and Butter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 12:23:01 PM »
Hiya - thanks so much for all your helpful suggestions - unfortunately I had slight lapse last weekend that resulted in me discovering a penchant for artisan deep chocolate muffins and devouring two in as many days! Ive therefore had to put a hold on my own baking ventures, until next weekend at least.
I love the look of the spelt etc recipes (thank you Esther!) but I am still keen to bake something softer I think. I know refined soy products are generally best avoided, but I was wondering if this extended to baking with soy flour? Its probably not something I would want to consume consistently but Ive seen some good recieps and it looks like it might up the protein (and hence satiety) factor quite a bit - does anyone have a strong opinion?
Will provide an update as and when I finally get around to baking these longawaited cookies! Thanks!

Offline aubrel936

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 07:16:42 PM »
Hey cookie queen!

Alas, I live with a sugar freak, my fiance, the man that began my baking. I have the sugar dilemma I too. I want sweet but i want natural. I have a very nice recipe that might make your chocolate craving a bit more manageable. This is by memory so the measurements might be a tad off. Forget the cookies- how about avocado mousse?

you need a food processor-this makes 2 servings

1 avocado ripe
1/2 c  baking cocoa
1/4 -1/3 c maple syrup or agave
splash of soy sauce
splash of balsamic vinegar
1 tsp vanilla ext.
pinch salt

blend baby blend. then you have a flourless dessert made with a veggie. you could also forgo the maple syrup and soak 3/4 c pitted dates in water for a couple of hours or overnight, strain liquid, then use the dates to sweeten the mousse! all natural.

if this doesn't make your toes curl, i'll send you a recipe for chocolate, chocolate cookies- and we'll adapt it!

Offline Lara S

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 11:32:18 PM »
Fellow cookie lovers unite!
So I was recently inspired to try making my own Larabars (I mean we do share the same name haha) when I saw they have a new flavor called Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. Only 4 ingredients and you get a pretty dang convincing and delicious "cookie dough". However, it does kind of require a food processor (but I bet you could use a blender), and I use my little mini-processor so much it was definitely worth the $20.
I know its not quite what you were asking for but I though this might do in a pinch:
1/2 c raw cashew pieces
5-6 medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
1 oz. chocolate pieces
pinch sea salt

Soak the cashews for at least 20 minutes then drain and dry well. Pulse in a food processor (or blender?) until no large chunks remain. Add dates, chocolate and salt and blend until thouroughly combined. Roll into balls or press into bars and enjoy!

seriously so yummy! Hope this helps ;D