Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Grain-free for the holidays.  (Read 3103 times)

Offline jennig980

• Alumni
Grain-free for the holidays.
« on: November 09, 2010, 10:34:33 AM »
My mom is currently on the GAPS diet, which limits all grains and many sweeteners. With thanksgiving around the corner I am planning our family menu and would like to accommodate her as best as possible.

I was wondering if anyone had any good grain-free recipes, specifically pie crusts, & desserts? I am also looking for a turkey brine without sugar, molasses, or maple syrup. Any suggestions???

thanks!

Offline GeriW

• Alumni
Re: Grain-free for the holidays.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 11:02:08 AM »
I just made a no-bake pear tart.  The original recipe was for apples but either would work.  The crust was dates, walnuts, and sea salt.  Here is the website http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=recipe&dbid=67.  I found that I wanted to increase the number of pears used (probably would have increased it to 5).  Happy cooking.

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 01:42:29 PM »
The latest, hot off the press, going out in today's BC e-newsletter:
http://www.baumancollege.org/images/pdfs/raw_fall_fruit_cobbler_with_cranberry_coulis.pdf

Shhh...don't tell the marketer that I released this early!  :)
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline Catherine McConkie

• Former Bauman College Faculty Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 08:37:59 PM »
November 2010 issue of Delicious Living has some nice sounding grain free desserts. The sweeteners could be swapped around. http://deliciouslivingmag.com/food/

Not to worry! No need to add sugar to your brine solution. (skin may not get as browned)
For 12-17 lb. bird - 1C salt: 2 gallons water 6-12 hours
     18-24 lb. bird - 1.5C salt: 3 gallons water 6-12 hours

Another method is to just salt the bird and let it rest in fridge. The salt draws water out from interior then gets dissolved in the liquid and reabsorbed back into the bird. Takes longer but you'll get crispy and browned skin this way.

1 teaspoon kosher salt per lb. Evenly salt the cavity and skin under breasts and legs. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and rest in fridge 24-48 hours.

Good luck!
Catherine

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 06:00:30 AM »
Here are a couple of recipes for grain-free (or low-flour) pie crusts, savory and sweet. These are delicious and rich. The walnuts pair beautifully with pears, which, if very ripe, often require no sweetening at all (well, not to my tastes, anyway).

High-Protein Pie Crusts
adapted from Dr. Mercola’s Total Health Program

Ingredients

½   cup  organic flax seeds, ground
½  cup sesame seeds, ground
1   cup  organic walnuts
½  cup (plus or minus) whole wheat or brown rice flour (brown rice is lighter) (See note below)
½   cup  grated Swiss or cheddar cheese (organic or raw), optional
¾   tsp.  ground allspice (or a little less)
½  tsp  sea salt

Savory Crust

1)  Preheat oven to 375˚ F. In food processor workbowl, add walnuts and process until almost very fine but with some larger chunks remaining. Add ground sesame and flax seeds, shredded cheese (if using), allspice and sea salt. Pulse for 5 seconds, only until mixture starts to come together. Add filtered water a little at a time to adjust consistency. Do not overprocess.

2)  Pat mixture evenly into lightly greased 10” shallow pie pan.

3)  Bake in preheated oven alone for 7 – 10 minutes, only until crust is getting brown. If using crust for quiche or other filling, baking temperature for that dish will depend upon recipe.

Sweet Crust

1)  Proceed with recipe as above, except omit cheese and add just  a dash of salt instead of ½ tsp. Use ¼   tsp. nutmeg and ½ tsp. cinnamon in place of the allspice. If a little sweetness is desired, add a little maple syrup in place of some or all of the water.

2)  Pat into 10” pie tin. Bake 7 – 10 minutes by itself, or according to recipe direction with a dessert filling. Remove from oven and let stand until cool.

Variation:

These can be done without any flour at all. Either make a smaller crust, or add additional flax and walnuts.

Offline EmiliaW

• Alumni
    • Wine and Butter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 01:58:36 PM »
This is shockingly un-sophisticated by comparison to the other suggestions BUT I consider perfectly ripe Medjool Dates, stuffed with either cream cheese or peanut butter to be pretty much the best desert EVER. Especially paired with red wine. I serve them to my 'non-healthy' friends the whole time, and without shame.

Also, lemon curd, paired with double cream on top of ground cashews and butter baked into a loose crust is pretty amazing.

Can you tell Im a pretty basic style cook? :) Good luck!

Offline EmiliaW

• Alumni
    • Wine and Butter
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 02:02:01 PM »

anything