Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Appetizers and Dessert Suggestions? Hosting 2 parties..  (Read 1950 times)

Offline laurar149

• Alumni
Appetizers and Dessert Suggestions? Hosting 2 parties..
« on: December 07, 2010, 05:37:08 PM »
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had and recipes for elegant, finger food type appetizers and desserts. I am in charge of doing both for a holiday party and my sister's engagement party and would love some new ideas! Please let me know if you have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated! :) Thanks.

Warmest regards,

Laura

Offline ashley

• Alumni
    • sprout
Re: Appetizers and Dessert Suggestions? Hosting 2 parties..
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 06:31:52 PM »
Hi Laura,

I'm taking the Natural Chef course and am getting ready to hand in a homework assignment tomorrow. I wrote one dessert and one appetizer recipe so here they are! ~Ashley

WASABI TUNA & ARAME ON DAIKON ROUNDS
Serves 6

This gluten, dairy, and sugar free Japanese appetizer is a nutritious addition to your appetizer repertoire. Daikon radish is used like a cracker in this recipe and is an excellent source of Vitamin C. Arame is a sea vegetable with anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory properties and is an excellent source of minerals.

Ingredients
6 ounces sashimi grade tuna
1 tablespoon wasabi powder
3 tablespoons filtered water, plus more as needed
1/2 of an avocado
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds, plus more for garnish
1/2 cup arame, soaked for 1 hour in filtered water
1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely minced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 tablespoon tamari
2 inch piece of daikon, cut into twelve 1/8 inch thick rounds
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, for garnish

Preparation
1. Using a sharp knife, cut the tuna into a small dice and set aside in the refrigerator.
2. Make a wasabi avocado puree by combining the wasabi powder, 3 tablespoons water, 1/2 avocado, salt and pepper in a food processor. Process until creamy and smooth. The consistency should be thick but not as thick as a paste. You should be able to easily toss the puree with the tuna. If necessary, add additional water one tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached, making sure the mixture does not become runny. Mix the black sesame seeds into the mixture by hand.
3. Drain and rinse the soaking arame and place it in a small mixing bowl. Add the ginger, garlic, and tamari and toss to combine. Set aside.
4. Place 12 daikon rounds on a serving platter. Just before serving, combine the avocado wasabi puree with the tuna, tossing gently to combine. Divide the tuna mixture evenly onto the daikon rounds. Equally divide the arame mixture on top of the tuna. Sprinkle the platter and rounds with additional black sesame seeds and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.

TURKISH COFFEE KANTEN WITH PISTACHIO CREAM
Serves 6

Kanten is a jello-like dessert made from the seaweed agar. Widely used in Asian cuisine, this kanten takes on Turkish flavors by using coffee, cardamom, and pistachio nuts.

Ingredients
2 cups freshly brewed decaffeinated coffee
1/2 teaspoon finely ground cardamom seeds
1 teaspoon sugar (coconut sugar or sucanant)
2 tablespoons agar flakes
1 cup pistachio nuts, shelled and soaked overnight in filtered water
1/2 cup filtered water
2 dates, pitted
1 teaspoon vanilla or pistachio extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

Preparation
1. Combine the hot coffee, cardamon seeds, sugar, and agar flakes in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Simmer the mixture, stirring constantly, until the agar flakes dissolve, about 5 minutes.
2. Pour the mixture into 6 small coffee cups or espresso cups leaving room for a dollop of pistachio cream on top.
3. Allow the kanten to cool at room temperature for 10-15 minutes, stir each kanten again, and then refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.
4. In the meantime, prepare the pistachio cream. Place the drained pistachio nuts into a blender or food processor along with the water, dates, extract, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
5. Just before serving, place a generous spoonful of the pistachio cream on each kanten.
Ashley