Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Which nutrition journals do you read?  (Read 3527 times)

Offline AmyCa

• Alumni
Which nutrition journals do you read?
« on: January 06, 2011, 01:50:16 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm nearing the end of the NE program and find myself yearning for more reading. So I thought I'd ask, which journals/magazines/online media do you use to keep up to date on nutrition news? I'm especially interested in hearing from Bauman teachers.

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
Re: Which nutrition journals do you read?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 07:07:56 AM »
Congratulations on finishing the program, Amy.

I especially like the Townsend Letter. It has very good alternative health articles. It's medically oriented but contains valuable food, supplement and herb information, presented by some of the leading lights in their various fields. It also alerts me to upcoming seminars. Speaking of which, the NANP conference is always good. I also attend some from Designs for Health, Metagenics, Metametrix---whoever's presenting information that I want within a few hundred miles of where I live.

There are many online newsletters that are also good. One that I get, which is not nutritional in nature but that provides great environmental information is "Above the Fold". The newsletter that ends up in my mailbox contains mostly the bad news. But there's a link to the good news, which is such a relief sometimes.

Another periodical I enjoy is Unified Health, put out by the Innate Response folks (www.innateresponse.com). You can get it either in print or on-line. Its focus is health, but it's unique in its emphasis on spiritual health.

I also depend on webinars and other web-based presentations and articles from Innate Response (Dr. Bauman's doing some of these), Designs for Health (open an account and check out Clinical Rounds), Jon Barron's newsletter, Natural News (some of it), Mercola's newsletter (though I mostly delete him these days), the PubMed databases, Google Scholar (for research studies). AND, if you open an account for supplements with Emerson Ecologics (www.emersonecologics.com), they now have a section entitled, "Dr. Emerson", which contains more information than I can list, including books for sale, databases on supplements, herbs and their uses, webinars and much, much more. They're a great resource for supplements, too, as they carry most of the professional brands of supplements and herbs. They also carry some food products, such as Nutiva coconut and hemp products, Amazing Grass (newly added), and more.

How's that for a start?

Offline MiraD

• Alumni
    • Grains&More
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 10:17:36 PM »
Thanks Jodi for your sharing resources.

I also like Natural Awakenings http://www.naturalawakeningsmag.com/

The American Holistic Health Association has free reports http://ahha.org/FreeStuff.asp

and

Nutrition Journal http://www.nutritionj.com/

Offline AmyCa

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 02:27:06 PM »
Thank you, Jodi!

..And thanks to the both of you for your suggestions!

Offline EmiliaW

• Alumni
    • Wine and Butter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 01:47:08 AM »
This is a fantastic thread!! Thanks for the innate response tip off - does anyone have further recommendations for non-online resources? Sorry for being so non environmentally friendly but I spend so much time in front of a computer for work and studies and I'm also desperate for something to read on the communte into work... 

BAsically, I'd love something I could subscribe to - also ideally more on the conventional research side than the alternative (have quite a lot of alternative resources and an always interested in getting a balance!)THank you!!

Offline AmyCa

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 06:21:40 PM »
Good suggestion, Emilia. I was also kind of hoping that somebody would suggest something along those lines.

Offline KayH

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 02:36:57 PM »
I subscribe to the Well Being Journal which publishes every other month. The contributors write a lot on nutrition's impact on disease through diet and herbal intervention. They also include study reviews which are relevant to a nutritionist. I always look forward to it showing up in my mailbox!

Offline fleaf

• Faculty
  • Nutrition-Matters! Let's Get the Word Out...
    • Fern Leaf:  Nutrition Consultant and Wellness Coach
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 10:52:12 AM »
I regularly use a number of Vitamin Research Products www.vrp.com.  They offer a multitude of level-headed information about various health conditions and responses to client questions penned by their medical staff.  While you can retrieve many of their articles online, they also send out a plump, monthly print magazine with health condition articles and product spotlight information.  The articles are usually accompanied by the relevant resource notations.  I like the fact that they discuss practical protocols as well as reviewing physiology and established and emerging science. 
Fern Leaf
MPH in Public Health Nutrition from UC Berkeley
          Specialty focus: Aging and Public Health
NC, Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition
Member, Bauman College Board of Directors
DL Mentor

Offline AmyCa

• Alumni
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 09:45:47 PM »
Thanks, Fern!

anything