Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: caution on fish oil  (Read 4340 times)

Offline JudithSil

• Alumni
caution on fish oil
« on: January 23, 2011, 12:32:37 PM »
Fish oil linked to increased risk of colon cancer in mice.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101005104342.htm

Another reason to get your nutrients from food rather than supplements. Makes me wonder (purely idle speculation) if this was not the reason why nutritionist Robert Crayhon died at age 49 of colon cancer.

I would be interest to see comments from the Bauman community on the flaws in this study or any other insights you may have.

Offline JudithSil

• Alumni
Re: caution on fish oil
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 12:38:22 PM »

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 09:32:21 PM »
Interesting study. My thoughts:

There are a lot of studies showing antiinflammatory responses in mice getting fish oils, though not just DHA. It's impossible, really, to know if the problem is that this was DHA-only supplementation, or whether the specific inflammatory agent responds adversely to it, or if mice just aren't supposed to have high-doses of DHA. Mice aren't humans, and laboratory mice can be pretty stressed out, given that they're in cages and being injected with disease-causing organisms. This study may be relevant to human health, but then again, it may not be.

I must say, though, that the more I read, the more I think that moderation in the supplements we use for health maintenance is in order. And luckily, there's a simple blood-spot test that can show us the balance of our fatty acids and guide us in choosing proper supplementation.

Offline CherylS

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 11:34:15 PM »
Hi Jodi,

I'm wondering if you know of more, new controversy over the dangers of taking fish oil supplements, & I suppose that's carrying over to our multi vitamin supplements with "A" & Beta Carotene?  I heard from a 23-year-old client of mine that she's afraid to take multi's with any "A" in it after hearing Dr. Oz discuss on his show about the dangers related to cancer.  She has been taking, therefore, pre-natals since that's all she can find that doesn't carry any "A" or beta carotene.  One of the benefits I've liked about this vitamin is how it helps people with skin issues, including   bumpy upper arms.  Could you shed a bit more light on all this?  Thanks, much!

Offline Ed Bauman

• President
  • Faculty
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 10:40:48 AM »
It's best to not over-generalize. When a so-called expert or study says, a certain nutrient may be toxic, the MAY is the key word here. If the quality, quantity and frequency of taking a nutrient are good, and they are not showing any signs of aggravation, it is fine for them to take a nutrient, such as fish oil or vitamin A or D. Our job as NC's is to ask the person to pay attention to how THEIR body is responding to foods, herbs, nutrients and any interactions that may cause a reaction. If someone takes a lipid based product that is not fresh, then they will experience an aggravation, which was not due to an EFA or Vit A overdose, but rather from a bad product. If someone suspects a sensitivity to a product, food or herb, it is fine to withdraw it from their diet for 7-14 days, and then reintroduce it and see what happens in its absence and renewed use.

Often, people drink, smoke, eat poor quality food and have toxic exposures and then blame their supplements for their problems. The holistic approach to nutrition looks to create a comprehensive picture of a person in their environment and investigate the relationships that contribute to their health or lack of it.
President, Bauman College
Clinical Director, Bauman Nutrition Clinic
Facilitator, Vitality Fasting Retreats
Ph.D. in Health Promotion, U of New Mexico
M.Ed. in Education, U of Massachusetts
President, Board of Directors, NANP
Faculty, JFKU,New College

Offline CherylS

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 12:45:07 PM »
Thank you, Ed, for your response! It's greatly appreciated & your words of wisdom & knowledge resonate well with me.

Offline jodyp820

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 11:37:46 AM »
Thank you for sharing this information.  It would be interesting to know the quality of the fish oil used.   Did the oil contain mercury and other toxins? 
It seems if dietary guidelines were established for Omega-3's, the vitamin industry would be the group that would most profit from this.

Offline amandar473

• Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 11:14:53 AM »
I currently work with supplements, vitamins, and nutritional herbs. However, being a student of holistic nutrition, I believe "supplements" are just that... If taken, they are only to "supplement" certain needs where a deficit exists. Many people understand this, however there are some who only watch Dr. Oz but because he is in the national spotlight, he still has to reach certain demographics and ratings just like any other marketed television show. I believe there is a necessary balance between supplements and organic, naturally nutritious vitamin rich foods. Our body recognizes food much better than synthetic supplements. So if and when someone does need a supplement, I always suggest a food based product.

But back to the Dr. Oz topic for a moment... A woman came into the store wanting a supplement Dr. Oz talked about on his TV show. It supposedly "made you stop eating." And I thought to myself "Why would you ever stop want to stop eating? You need to EAT to LIVE!" This has become a very popular product, with people running to the store wanting this product because Dr. Oz said it promoted weigh loss by suppressing appetite. I'm sure this claim has been somewhat distorted, but regardless we shouldn't be hanging our hats on a supplement to fix our problems. We are a nation of wanting quick fixes, and the world of supplements is no different. There is a supplement for every ailment, and while I do believe they CAN have the power to restore the body, we all need to remember they are just an added "supplement" to healthy, balanced eating.