Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: AGAR AGAR=YUMMY DESSERT  (Read 3800 times)

Offline AlanaF

• Alumni
AGAR AGAR=YUMMY DESSERT
« on: April 24, 2007, 04:12:15 PM »
Hey There Fellow Foodies!

I was blessed to go on a seaweed safari last year with a wonderful woman named Katherine Abby Rich. She shared the weekend with us camping out on Tailor Made Farms near their pond and aside from basking in the glow of mid summer sun with her we did a very informed herb walk and learned a lot about our native plants and how to practically use them... I digress, the seaweed safari! We were taught about local, mineral rich seaweeds fresh from the coast and then taken to harvest to our hearts content during the lowest tide of the year there. Upon our return we arranged our freshly harvested seaweed to dry in the sun and cooked up some fun fare with our bounty! The one recipe that has stuck with me and served well over the year was actually a recommendation for one we did not harvest but can be easily purchased at any Asian market. Agar Agar!!! Here it is I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

4 cups Mango Nectar

(or a juice of your choice, I prefer the thicker kind, but pomegranate has impressed people as well)

6 TB of Agar Agar Flakes

1 ripe Mango, diced  (again your choice)   

1 tsp Agave Nectar (or not)

Bring nectar or juice to a low boil, stir in agar flakes and agave. Remove from heat, transfer to a serving dish and drop in mango delicately! Wait roughly 15 minutes for it to firm on counter to serve at room temp or put in fridge to have cool summer dessert fit for guests! Enjoy!!! ;D

P.S If you are interested in going on the wonderful weekend I mentioned, stay posted for more details on the forum! I believe the weekend is the 16-17th of June this year and Katherine will be collecting reservations soon!

anything