Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Looking for vegan and gluten-free baked goods recipes  (Read 12602 times)

AdrienneL

Looking for vegan and gluten-free baked goods recipes
« on: June 04, 2011, 11:55:44 PM »
Hello chefs and healthy food lovers!

I'm looking for the best vegan and gluten-free recipes to make wholesome sweets for those occasional indulgences. I'm not vegan myself but have multiple food allergies and am working with folks who have many dietary restrictions at this time.

I'd like to find recipes that sweeten with unrefined sweeteners, especially fresh fruit and use protein-rich grain flour or even better, nut flours.

I'd appreciate your experiences, recipes, and comments on this challenging area in therapeutic cooking!

Offline Catherine McConkie

• Former Bauman College Faculty Member
Re: Looking for vegan and gluten-free baked goods recipes
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 08:05:25 PM »
Adrienne,
I talked to Anna yesterday and she's in last stages of development for a GF, DF, CF, SoyF, natural sweetener, vegan, chocolate chip cookie. Stay tuned. She'll have a table at Food as Medicine (heading to DC on Wednesday) and if I can bring you a mix I will.
Catherine

AdrienneL

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 10:18:16 AM »
Thanks, Catherine. That sounds great. If the cookies are as good as her breads... :) I know there is a market out there for low-allergenic baking. I'm working on my own experiments but I think that losing eggs is the biggest challenge I've encountered. I also don't know if baking with ground flax seeds is really an acceptable substitute since they are heated, but I really don't know what the current thoughts are on this.

Adrienne

Offline Lacyeloo

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 03:56:27 PM »
I am gluten-free, allergic to eggs and dairy and I fell in Love with Babycakes! Its a bakery in LA and NY. There's a great cookbook out, and I'm sure you can google the recipes too. This is one of my favorites.

http://www.dietsinreview.com/recipes/babycakes-double-chocolate-chip-cookies/

I add coconut flakes as well. DELISH! :)

Offline NicoleP

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 09:09:04 AM »
Check out this blog.  There's a vegan section and its easy to make healthier substitutions in lots of the recipes.  Her Quinoa Chocolate Chip cookies are awesome!

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

Offline tobbem951

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 08:57:54 PM »
This is a really basic muffin recipe that everyone seems to love, myself included :) We've played with all kinds of ways since the first trial, when we made them as camping food (they hold up SO well!):

http://lifewithnature.com/detox-foods/recipes/vegann-fat-freegluten-free-banana-muffins/

I've found I need less bake time than give (15 min for me---but maybe my oven runs hot?). Some other successfully delicious options we've whipped up have subbed blended strawberries or pumpkin puree for the apple puree, honey/agave/yacon for the maple. Also, we've added tons of extras each time; the 1st batch was a "trail mix muffin" with various nuts & dried seeds folded in with the bananas. We added strawberry chunks & cacao nibs for a richer variation once. An extra banana (instead of maple) & a handful of quinoa for protein muffins once. Just be careful to watch because changing ingredients often changed (usually shortened) the baking time, in my experience.

It's endless...super easy, all pretty basic pantry ingredients, so a pretty fun base to play around with. I hope this is a helpful addition to your recipe list :)

Offline ericae045

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 01:16:47 PM »
Hi Adrienne,
I've really enjoyed the sweet treats out of Terry Walters' books Clean Food and Clean Start.  They are vegan and typically gluten-free (Clean Start is entirely GF) and incorporate a lot of health supportive ingredients. 
Erica

Offline KarenKo

• Alumni
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 07:21:36 PM »
Its soooo hard to lose the eggs! everything turns to a brick! <3  Let me know if you ever figure it out! <3

Offline NicoleP

• Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 08:44:36 PM »
I've found that little things like using a whisk and not over stirring the batter can make a bid difference in the 'fluff factor' of vegan recipes.  Also, a co worker told me she has used soda water in some vegan recipes to help things rise sans eggs and that it works well too.

Offline Dana Miller

• Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 05:06:11 PM »
I like to use 1 T. ground chia seeds with 3 T. water and a 1/2 t. GF baking powder as a substitute for 1 egg when baking.

renaem437

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2011, 02:23:16 PM »
Hi Adrienne,

There is a great blog called The Spunky Coconut http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/ that has terrific gluten free (most are grain free) and vegan (with the exception of maybe honey for those really strict vegans) recipes. I especially love her grain-free "granola" recipes. Hope this helps!

Renae

AdrienneL

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 03:45:45 PM »
Thanks everyone for the fantastic resources and suggestions. I'm always so impressed with what our community is creating! I'll report back with success stories from my kitchen!

Offline EmbraceAW

• Embrace Health & Nutrition
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 12:33:11 PM »
Hi! Also, for the baking mix without fuss, visit Purely Elizabeth for muffin, cookie and pancake mixes. She has the best stuff. Some of the consistencies are a bit delicate - they fall apart a bit, but it makes you appreciate that it isn't white flour and butter and sugar just sticking everything together! Add pumpkin to the Apple Spice muffin mix and it's PURE indulgence. She also just came out with WONDERFUL and very unique, crunchy and flavorful granola, without too much sugar. Lots of great ingredients! For now, I believe you can only order online, and find her in some local stores on the East Coast. www.purelyelizabeth.com. YUMMM!!

Offline AliaP

• Alumni
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 06:07:15 PM »
Hi there!

Here's a really easy no-bake recipe for brownies that is absolutely amazing!

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup ground almonds (or pecans, cashews.. etc)
    1 cup pitted dates
    1/4 cup cocao powder       
    1 - 2 teaspoons agave nectar  (maple syrup works just as well!)

Process these ingredients in a food processor/blender. Press the brownie mix into a shallow pan lined with wax paper. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes, then cut and enjoy! Keep any extras in the fridge.   ;D

*Vegan, Raw, Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free*

Offline amyg281

• Alumni
  • Fix the food first
    • Embrace Health & Nutrition
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 05:22:19 PM »
Also an awesome resource is greenkitchenstories.com - a wonderful blog created by this Danish couple (and their baby) who live in Stockholm. The blog is WONDERUL just to peruse through, and they have some scrumptious recipes, a lot are vegan, vegetarian or gluten free, and use unprocessed sugars in many of the recipes that call for sugar. The website brings a smile to my face everytime I look through the beautiful pictures of food and activities that the couple are taking part in - definitely a great website not only to inspire to cook more healthfully, but to strive to live an enjoyable, happy life. Additionally, mynewroots.blogspot.com is a wonderful site for recipes. Both are not overwhelmingly chalked full of too many to choose from, either. They are inspirational resources. : )
Amy Griffith