Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Healthy Sugar-Free Vegan Caramel Apples--Perfect Halloween Treat!  (Read 2080 times)

Offline stephanien407

• Alumni
So I recently found this recipe that I thought would be perfect for all us health foodies out there who are looking for a healthy dessert without refined sugar. It is kid-friendly and perfect for Halloween!

http://kriscarr.com/recipe/sugar-free-caramel-apples/

Yield: 4-6 servings

1 1/2 cups pitted dates, packed (I use honey dates)
1/2 cup plain nondairy milk (to soak dates)
3 1/2 – 4 tablespoon raw cashew butter (or your favorite raw nut butter)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (or the seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean)
1/8 teaspoon (rounded) sea salt
couple pinches freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
4-6 organic apples (or more, depending on size)
Popsicle sticks or spoons
coatings: unsweetened shredded coconut, grated chocolate, mini chocolate chips, chopped dried cranberries, almond meal, chopped pecans, etc.

1. Combine the dates with the nondairy milk in a bowl.  Let soak for about an hour.  Then, drain the dates, gently pushing the excess milk through a sieve.

2. In a food processor, combine the dates with the cashew butter, vanilla, and sea salt (and nutmeg, if using).  Process until very smooth, scraping down the processor bowl as needed and puree again.  This will take several minutes. Transfer to a container and refrigerate.

3. When ready to coat your apples, insert a popsicle stick into the stem end of each apple (if you don't have any sticks handy, try inverting a spoon so you insert the handle into the apple and you hold the rounded ‘spoon’ end).  Then, simply lift the apple and use a butter knife or spatula to coat your apples with the caramel (not too thick as the caramel is very sweet, but thick enough for it to be substantial and for the toppings to adhere).

4. Place in a container or on a tray or baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and serve, or refrigerate for up to a day before serving.