Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: How do you flavor your Kombucha?  (Read 5566 times)

Offline gainalieu

• Alumni
How do you flavor your Kombucha?
« on: June 16, 2011, 02:40:44 PM »
I'm in the process of making my own kombucha and would like some tips on how to flavor it. I"ve looked online for some tips. There are a few good ones that I've found, but was wondering if anyone who may be a pro at this can give me some pointers. Any info would be helpful and greatly appreciated.

Thanks
gaina

Offline Dana Miller

• Alumni
Re: How do you flavor your Kombucha?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 05:00:30 PM »
This is the fun part of brewing your own kombucha! The flavor combination's are endless. I like to use The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs for inspiration. It is a great book!

You will have needed to brewed your kombucha with the SCOBY for 10 -30 days depending on how sweet or sour you want your drink to be.

Remove the SCOBY. (start a new batch with your SCOBY). Never flavor with the SCOBY as you will most likely damage it.

Now you can begin experimenting.

You can use fresh or frozen fruit, juice, herbs or spices to create your unique flavors. The basic preparation is always the same.

Place 1/2 cup of juice or 1/2 of a piece of fruit or 1/2 cup frozen fruit or 3-4 pieces of dried fruit in the bottom of a 1 QT Mason Jar

Add herbs or spices if you want

Pour 3 cups fermented kombucha over the fruit or juice, herbs and spices. Replace lid. Allow this to ferment an additional 2-3 days on your counter. This will flavor your tea and add effervescence.

After 3 days, place kombucha in the refrigerator. You may strain at this point if you like however, I leave it all there until I am ready to drink. I feel It adds more bubbles. I like to eat the fruit after it has been used to flavor the tea. It is great with yogurt or to add a little to your smoothie.

Some of my favorite flavors combination's are:

1/2 cup fresh persimmon juice with 1/2 stick cinnamon and 2 cloves, and 1/2 inch piece of ginger

1/2 of a pear diced with 1 cardamom pod that has been crushed and 1 star anise. If you want a more intense pear flavor use a 1/2 cup fresh pear juice.

1/2 of a mango, 2 cloves, 1/2 of a cinnamon stick

1 hibiscus tea bag, zest and fruit of a meyer lemon, 1 - 2 teaspoon fresh ginger juice. Remove tea bag after 10 minutes.

1/2 cup cherries, 1 Tablespoon cocoa nibs (remove after 2 days as they become bitter)

1/2 cup blueberries with 1/2 stick cinnamon and 1 teaspoon fresh ginger juice

1/2 cup Trader Joe's frozen mixed berries

1/2 cup strawberries

Offline gainalieu

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 07:53:04 PM »
Thank you for all of your tips Dana. Your personal favorites sounds yummy. I will have to try them. Thank you -gaina

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 12:45:06 PM »
Dana's kombucha is the BEST!  My fav is the mango, clove, cinnamon!
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline Lori Cottrell

• Student Services Manager
  • Staff
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 12:20:27 PM »
Dana is the kombucha goddess. My favorite is pear , cardamom and star anise.
dance as though no one is watching you,
love as though you have never been hurt before,
sing as though no one can hear you,
live as though heaven is on earth...-souza

Offline Dana Miller

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 03:15:31 PM »
Thanks Ladies! ;D

Offline danap993

• Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 02:50:11 PM »
I've been experimenting with this on emy self.  If you want a second fermentation to make it more bubbly then it's best to add fresh or dried fruit.  But some times I add a few onces of tart cherrie juice or pomegranate's. 

Offline paulaf545

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 08:02:08 PM »
Oh dear, what have I done...

I have been making kombucha for about 9 months with the same SCOBY. I was told that any kind of tea would do, black, green and even herbal. I was shown how to brew the tea and the dried hibiscus, ginger slices and dehydrated orange slices were added during the boiling phase. The sugar was added later during cool down.

My SCOBY is pink, the kombucha tastes good (although I haven't really had many others to compare with) I use the continuous brew method.

QUESTION: Any recommendations on how to proceed from here? Should I compost it and start over? And technically speaking, how does adding flavour damage the SCOBY?

Thank you!
Happiness Always,
Paula :)
:)

anything