Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Should I get a Masters in Nutrition, first?  (Read 4123 times)

Offline Nicole

Should I get a Masters in Nutrition, first?
« on: June 19, 2011, 12:07:14 PM »
Hello! I've been considering continuing by education and going back to school for the past few years. I went to college for education and psychology, and I've been a paraprofessional for the past 3 years. I love working with children, but my dream is to help people prevent illness and have healthier lifestyles by examining the foods they eat and their general wellness. I really want to become a Nutrition Consultant, but I've been confused as to what courses I need to take to start a career as such. Do most NC's get their Masters in the field, and then get certified through Bauman? Or, if I get certified through Bauman College with only a background in education and psychology, will I still be able to attain a career as a NC? Thank you for your help! :) 

Offline Marsha McLaughlin

• Admissions
  • Staff
Re: Should I get a Masters in Nutrition, first?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 02:11:31 PM »
Hi Nicole
Completion of the Bauman College Nutrition Consultant Program will lead to the title of Certified Nutrition Consultant and will allow you to begin your career as a Nutrition Consultant. Your previous college coursework in the fields of education and psychology may serve to highlight your experiences and expertise in various areas of work.  

Some people who have obtained a Masters in the field of Nutrition later attended Bauman College in order to learn how to incorporate a holistic approach to nutrition and wellness into their work.  However, this is not necessary. Certified Nutrition Consultants, Nutritionists, and Registered Dietitians all have a role to play. Nutrition Consultants are in demand in the private sector, working in private, clinical and community settings to create customized nutrition and wellness plans. Registered Dietitians and Nutritionists are most often found in institutional settings, following prescribed diets and more general protocols for disease management. As  consumer demand for nutrition increases, both will be given expanded opportunities to work in public and private settings.  We are witnessing a renaissance of information and application on the use whole foods, herbs and well-researched dietary supplements for disease prevention and recovery. Bauman College Nutrition Consultants are uniquely qualified to share this essential information with the public.

I hope I have shed some light on your good questions.  Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss this in more detail.

Be Well,
Marsha McLaughlin
800-987-7530
marsha.mclaughlin@baumancollege.org

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 04:40:27 PM by Marsha McLaughlin »

Offline Nicole

Re: Should I get a Masters in Nutrition, first?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 02:49:47 PM »
Thank you so much, Marsha!

I think Bauman sounds like an absolutely phenomenal school to attend, and I love this Forum page. Your thoughtful response has definitely helped better understand what path a certification from Bauman helps to lead me down. Thank you. :)

anything