Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Vegan Diet in Perspective  (Read 5710 times)

Offline Ed Bauman

• President
  • Faculty
Vegan Diet in Perspective
« on: July 28, 2011, 12:45:27 PM »
I am giving a talk at the St Helena Public Library tonite, July 28th at 7 pm. My aim is to shed light on the potentials and possible pitfalls of a person eating a vegan diet. I will introduce the Eating for Health model and teach how to be a remarkably healthy vegan to support those in the audience who are either just getting started or have questions and issues about how to get enough protein, calcium,B-12, zinc and other key nutrients. My handouts  are attached. Ubuntu (gourmet vegetarian) restaurant from Napa will be providing incredible snacks for the event. YUM!!!
President, Bauman College
Clinical Director, Bauman Nutrition Clinic
Facilitator, Vitality Fasting Retreats
Ph.D. in Health Promotion, U of New Mexico
M.Ed. in Education, U of Massachusetts
President, Board of Directors, NANP
Faculty, JFKU,New College

Offline nadaa441

• Alumni
  • BeTheBalance
Re: Vegan Diet in Perspective
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:11:16 PM »
My nutritional and spiritual journey began in Phuket, Thailand. My objective was to strengthen my spiritual, mental, and physical state by seeking holistic practices & education. During my time in Thailand, I interned at Phuket Cleanse, a raw food detox center.

I actively changed my Western diet to a raw food vegan diet within the first month interning at Phuket Cleanse. The holistic nutritional changes alone were revolutionary for me. Since 2013 I've been trying to customize a diet best for my physiological needs.  A raw food vegan lifestyle has been difficult to sustain in the US. I'm currently trying to keep my nutrition profile 70% raw-30% cooked foods.

If I am not integrating super foods like spirulina, red maca, or b12/b supplements I end up experiencing lower energy levels. Few requests.

Can you please elaborate on what was shared during the presentation?
Is a raw food vegan lifestyle truly sustainable?
If a person is going to take on this lifestyle, what is absolutely essential in order for it to be sustainable/healthy?

Offline Ed Bauman

• President
  • Faculty
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 01:36:28 PM »
Here's a response to your thoughtful questions.

Can you please elaborate on what was shared during the presentation?
My handouts are shared in the earlier posting in this thread. Vegan Diet in Perspective
I shared an Eating for Health chart, an Investment Account chart and an article reviewing Vegan Nutrition.
Is a raw food vegan lifestyle truly sustainable?
Yes, it is some some people if they have the right combination of time, skill, body type, metabolism and lifestyle. It is more difficult to sustain for a busy working person, living in a climate that has cold weather. I see a raw vegan diet as a cleansing approach that is good for many people for a period of a few days to a few months, but in most cases (not all) is not a maintenance or building diet and lifestyle. I find that many folks who eat this way are always hungry, have problems concentrating, are super sensitive to our current society, culture, and food supply. They often feel they have to get away to create the conditions they need to be well. Being super sensitive can be a blessing and a curse.
If a person is going to take on this lifestyle, what is absolutely essential in order for it to be sustainable/healthy?
Access to fresh organic food, a digestion that handles seeds, sprouts and algae well, and someone who is not already cold, thin or spacy. A raw vegan may want to supplement his or her diet with vitamin B-12, zinc, and certain amino acids such as carnitine and taurine, which are not found in sufficient quantities in a purely plant based diet. You can check out the work of Gabriel Cousens, MD who advocates such a diet and has a community is southern Arizona, where the weather is very warm and people come to detox and heal for periods of weeks to months.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:04:02 PM by Marlina E »
President, Bauman College
Clinical Director, Bauman Nutrition Clinic
Facilitator, Vitality Fasting Retreats
Ph.D. in Health Promotion, U of New Mexico
M.Ed. in Education, U of Massachusetts
President, Board of Directors, NANP
Faculty, JFKU,New College

Offline christinew582

• Alumni
    • Coco Knows
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 03:40:20 PM »
Nada, you may also want to consider that some foods are actually healthier and with nutrients that are more bioavailable when cooked. A few examples:

cooking makes the beta carotene in carrots more bioavailable
cooking makes the lycopene in tomatoes more bioavailable
cooking reduces the goitrogens in cruciferous vegetables
after soaking and sprouting, roasting nuts reduces the phytic acid content

Not vegan, but the white of an egg is healthier when it is cooked (the yolk, however, is best eaten raw/runny)
www.CocoKnows.com
Facebook.com/cocoknowsitall
Twitter.com/cocoknowsitall

Offline BoooD4455

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 07:41:41 AM »
I know a lot of Vegan recipes. Tasty and healthy)
Found it here - https://greenann.com/
Try))

anything