Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Sambhar Recipe  (Read 2718 times)

Offline AmandaC

• Alumni
Sambhar Recipe
« on: May 08, 2007, 09:58:27 PM »
I brought this to class the other day and was compelled by my classmates to post the recipe. So here you go guys. Make it twice at least. It gets to be a really quick recipe when you learn how everything comes together and its a great way to get your little toes wet in Indian cooking:

Sambhar
Serves 4

4-5 tablespoons coconut oil
3 dried red chiles (or to taste 3 will take you to the low end of spicy)
5 teaspoons coriander seeds
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
4 tablespoons grated fresh coconut
3/4 cup yellow lentils
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 cup sliced onions
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1 cup diced eggplant
3/4 ounce tamarind pulp
Salt
8 curry leaves
1 teaspoon mustard seeds

Heat half the oil in a pan over medium heat and add the chiles, coriander seeds, fenugreek, and grated coconut. Cook, stirring, for 5 to 10 minutes; set aside to cool.

Wash the lentils in several changes of water and place in a large pan of water. Bring to a boil, add the ground turmeric, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.

Put the coconut, chile and spice mix in a food processor or blender and process to a fine paste. When the lentils are soft and mushy add them and the sliced onions, diced tomatoes, diced eggplant, tamarind and coconut paste to a medium saute pan and continue to cook until well reduced into a thick stew adding water as needed. Add salt to taste and simmer for 2 minutes longer.

Heat the remaining oil in a separate pan and add the curry leaves and mustard seeds. When they begin to crackle, pour them over the lentils. Garnish with some fresh chopped cilantro and tomatoes. Eat it by itself, with a flat bread, rice or uttapams (my favorite). Hope you enjoy!