Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Distance learning questions  (Read 6718 times)

Offline christy2u

Distance learning questions
« on: June 20, 2011, 03:41:30 PM »
I have been interested in becoming a nutritional therapist/consultant for some time, and Bauman College is currently #1 on my list of schools. I live in Portland, Oregon with plans to move to LA, and plan to enroll in the distance learning program. It was helpful to read that the lectures will available on slides, but just to clarify, this is not the same as a tele-recording of the actual lecture - is that correct? So we will get the lecture outline/notes, but not actually hear a verbal lecture?

I'm also a little unclear on how the internship works for distance learning. From the school catalog, it appears that the internship is set up through the school and is more of an arranged opportunity for experience than it is students going out and finding independent nutrition-related businesses on their own - is this correct? And if so, how does the internship work with students who do not live in the area?

About the coursework for distance learning - are the assignments/tests administered/turned in via postal mail or email or do they all take place on a website?

One last question - sorry I have so many, but it's such an investment of time/money that I am really very interested. Is it reasonable to expect to complete the program and begin making a living wage working as a nutritional consultant? I understand that this largely depends on each individual's level of ambition, but I'm just curious what percentage of students graduate and go on to attain full time careers in nutrition. I've seen the page listing graduates and their websites, which are impressive, but also don't reveal just how much business/how successful these individuals are with their businesses.

edited at ask one more question! I've looked over all the course descriptions and am left wondering how much talk about supplements/herbs/vitamins and so on is included in the program. While I dont' expect to be trained as an herbalist, I am quite interested in learning about supplementation in regards to aging, cancer/disease, and prevention.

Thanks so much! I'd also love to hear from any current/past/prospective students.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:47:43 AM by Marsha McLaughlin »

Offline Marsha McLaughlin

• Admissions
  • Staff
Re: Distance learning questions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 11:46:44 AM »
Hello
I would be happy to speak personally with you or anyone who would like some more detailed information about our Distance Learning Program.  Please don't hesitate to contact me directly so that we can have a conversation and get your questions answered.  I would also recommend that anyone with questions who has not yet had an advising appointment to contact Lacey at lacey.widick@baumancollege.org and she would be happy to set an appointment up for you. You will be able to get all of you questions answered by a Bauman College Advisor.

Distance Learning Students receive their audio lectures from our Student Dashboad.  These lectures are syncronized with a Power Point Presentation.  You will hear a verbal lecture.  All of the Distance Learning Lectures are presented by Dr. Bauman.

Distance Learning students who are not located near a Bauman College campus, or who cannot complete their internship along with the classroom students, will complete the internship in their communities and be partnered with another DL Intern wherever possible. To begin the process, the DL student will submit recommendations for a Community Wellness Partner in their area to the Bauman College Internship Administrator when they begin module NC 206, or month 18, whichever comes first. The Internship Administrator will then contact the prospective partner, qualify the organization, and offer the Bauman College WellFed™ program to the organization. When accepted, an on‐site program coordinator for the Community Wellness Partner will be oriented to working with our interns to provide support and feedback.

All Bauman College students complete their homework and upload it to the Student Dashbord for grading.

Term 2 of the Buaman College curriculum, Therapuetic Nutrition, covers supplements, vitamins and herbs.

I am happy and always available to answer all of your questions about employment opportunities for our graduates.

Be Well and I'll look forward to answering any additional questions.

Marsha McLaughlin
Admissions Supervisor
Bauman College
admissions@baumancollege.org
800-987-7530

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 02:13:02 PM by Lori Cottrell »

Offline dawnr747

• Alumni
  • Nutrition Enthusiast, Student, Wife and Mother
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 08:05:24 AM »
Hi Christy2U, I live in Portland Oregon too and just enrolled in the distant learning program at Bauman College last week. It took me months to decide on a program but after all my research Bauman was the right fit for me. I was convinced about Bauman College after I listened in on the conference call with Dr Bauman. I am excited to get my materials and start learning. I would love to keep in touch and am interested to know what program you decide on.
Take Care

Offline christy2u

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 03:34:24 PM »
Hi Dawn-

I'm so glad to hear that someone else from Portland is doing the program! I'm planning on signing up for sure within the next three weeks - I just have to wait for a little money to come in so I can pay tuition. Are you enrolled in the Nutritional Consultant program?

Let's definitely keep in touch.

Christy

Offline dawnr747

• Alumni
  • Nutrition Enthusiast, Student, Wife and Mother
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 08:22:47 PM »
Christy,

Yes I am enrolled in the Nutrition Consultant program. I just enrolled and should receive everything with in a week or so. I am not on the forum very often but here is my direct e-mail. I would love to stay in touch! and when you enroll let me know, I'm sure we will be able to help each other.
You can always reach me through e-mail at dawn@visionfornutrition.com

I look forward to staying in touch and working together,
Dawn

anything