Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Bauman College vs. Institute for Integrative Nutrition  (Read 101316 times)

Offline LauraMJ

Bauman College vs. Institute for Integrative Nutrition
« on: January 05, 2012, 11:49:53 AM »
I am looking to start a career in nutrition/wellness.  The two programs I am interested in for distance learning are Bauman College and the Institute for Integrative Nutrition.  Does anyone have experience with both of these programs?  I'm trying to understand the differences between the two, to determine which would be best for me. 

Certifications:
BC:  Nutrition Consultant Certificate, Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition
IIN:  Integrative Nutrition Health Coach Certificate, American Association of Drugless Practitioners (AADP)

Course Length (Distance Learning)
BC: 18-24 months
IIN:  6-12 months

Pricing: 
BC:  Around $10,000
IIN:  Around $5,000 (includes an ipad)

Curriculum: 
BC:
  * Foundations of nutrition:  macro- and micro-nutrients, nutritional analysis
  * Therapeutic nutrition:  men's/women's health, diabetes, cancer, detox, stress
  * Business
  * Fieldwork
IIN: 
  * Reviews over 100 different diets
  * Discusses physical activity, relationships, "primary food"
  * Nutrition science:  toxins, genetics, thyroid, metabolism
  * Modern issues:  government, emotional eating, organic, food at schools
  * Business coaching

If anyone has any other information or insights, I'm very interested in your feedback.  Thanks!

Offline Marsha McLaughlin

• Admissions
  • Staff
Re: Bauman College vs. Institute for Integrative Nutrition
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 11:22:16 AM »
Hello

My name is Marsha and I'm the Admissions Manager at Bauman College.  I will do my best to answer your questions on the differences between Bauman College and the Institute for Integrative Nutrition.  That said, I am an expert on the Bauman College Programs and not on the program offered at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition.  

I always recommend that individuals who are comparing colleges do strong side by side research to determine which program/college will best fit their needs, and prepare them to meet their career goals.  In addition to the cost of tuition, you will need to compare exactly what each curriculum covers and the total amount of educational hours you will complete. Also ask, does this program provide me with an Internship experience in which I can perform nutrition education and consulting services while still being supported by the college?  

As a Bauman College Advisor, one of the first questions I ask a prospective student is, "What do you see yourself doing in this field once you graduate?"  If they answer, "I want to work with other health care professionals such as doctors, chiropractors, acupuncturists, physical therapists, and counselors", I know that the Bauman College Program is a good fit for them. Some people are interested in establishing their own private practice, teaching courses, working within community settings, or in the field of writing and/or research.  Bauman College graduates are sufficiently trained and certified to work within any of these fields.

The Bauman College Distance Learning program brings the classroom to our students. Upon completion of our Nutrition Consultant (NC) Program you will have completed 700 Hours of coursework leading to the title of Certified Nutrition Consultant.  

The Bauman College NC program is an in-depth program that provides students with the skills necessary to work with primary care providers, and to design individualized diet and nutritional programs for people with previously diagnosed injury or illness. Our scientifically based curriculum focuses on Foundational Nutrition and Therapeutic Nutrition to teach you how nutrition influences the intricate feedback between organs, glands, cells, and gene expression.  You will learn up-to-date protocols to help your clients minimize medication, control pain, address chronic conditions, and acquire healthy habits.  

As a Bauman College graduate, you will have the ability and skills to accurately assess and understand a client's health condition.  Our program will provide you with the metabolic assessment tools needed to guide clients in the use of therapeutic foods, herbs, and nutrient support.

The Bauman College NC program is approved by the National Association of Nutrition Professionals (NANP).  This designation assures you and other professionals in the field that the college has a strong curriculum, is recognized in the field of academia, and will adequately prepare you to do professional work in the field.  

As a graduate of Bauman College, you are automatically eligible to sit for the Holistic Nutrition Credentialing Board's (HNCB) Board Examination. Upon successful completion of the exam you will have earned the designation, Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition. This designation further demonstrates your expertise in the field of holistic nutrition.  It will set you apart educationally from those who did not attend a recognized and approved college.

Additionally, the Bauman College required Internship hours (fieldwork: NC302- 105 Hrs) will directly apply to the required Internship Hours needed towards your eligibility to sit for Board Exam and Certification.

Our Distance Learning Program (DL) allows students to work at their own pace over a 27 month maximum time period.  DL students share the same curriculum foundation as its classroom-based counterpart, with features to enhance the Distance Learning format. Every Bauman College Distance Learning student consults one-on-one throughout their program with a Bauman College Faculty member (your mentor). Your faculty mentor will provide academic support and offer detailed feedback on homework for each course topic, answers questions, and directs students to resources to help strengthen their work.

In addition, DL students have inclusion in our online Student Community Forum.  This is the place that all of our students, graduates, faculty and administration connect to share questions, experiences, course work, and more.

I hope I have been helpful in helping you to understand the Bauman College Program, curriculum, and career opportunities upon completion.  I am always available to talk with you and all prospective Bauman College students individually.  

Be Well,
Marsha McLaughlin
Admissions Manager
Bauman College: Holistic Nutrition & Culinary Arts
800-987-7530
707-794-8785
marsha.mclaughlin@baumancollege.org
www.baumancollege.org
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 11:39:25 AM by Marsha McLaughlin »

Offline HeatherC

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 05:42:33 PM »
I've taken the IIN program and have a few insights. It wasn't as intense as I thought and was a little let down by the program. A lot of it was "fluff" learning and not so much science based. That isn't to negate the good parts of the program but it wasn't what I expected. Also, the ipad you get isn't a real ipad that you can use outside of the course material...it's locked to only be used to school related things. The other thing is that they have severely ramped up their marketing and now EVERYONE is taking their certification course which in my opinion means that it's not as special as it once was.

It is a very hard career path. It is not as easy to get clients as anyone markets it to be. You have to be VERY business smart in order to succeed and you have to understand the state laws also. You cannot call yourself a nutritionist. I agree with another poster on here that it seems a lot of graduates are realizing that it's not as easy to make this your career, when really the most it usually does is offer supplemental income. Not to say it can't be a full time job but that usually takes a couple of years to put the time into.

I would take Bauman's program if I had the chance to do it over...but I was able to have someone pay for my IIN cert, so I did that program instead. Now I am considering the Chef program but again.....it probably won't lead to much more than supplemental income so I need to weigh the pro's and cons.

Offline ShoshannaL

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 12:49:50 PM »
I'm a Bauman NC grad, and I'm now living in NYC where IIN is based. I can tell you this, they are holistic wellness counselors NOT nutritionists. Many of them call themselves holistic nutritionists, but they don't have the depth of the knowledge. I would not want them to work with people with serious health issues. i feel they are good for overall general wellness knowledge.

Offline stephaniesusanne

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 04:06:10 PM »
I researched both programs.  As I recall the number of hours of instruction at IIN was about half what Bauman's is for their NC course.  So, looking at it that way, cost is about the same when you prorate the total hours of instruction.

Offline ctwfitness

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 08:22:59 AM »
There is no comparison. IIN is just a survey, an intro really. Bauman will teach you how to help someone heal with meal plans and supplement recommendations. It is much more in depth and will help you discover your own style of nutrition that best fits your clients and yourself. I have met many people in the field who went to IIN and the Bauman NC grads seem better prepared.No doubt if this is your chosen field you will probably want to keep learning your whole life.