Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Gluten Free Pizza dough?  (Read 8138 times)

Offline CarolineW

• Alumni
Gluten Free Pizza dough?
« on: May 15, 2007, 04:12:12 PM »
Has anyone had any luck making a Gluten Free pizza dough? I imagine it would include brown rice flour among other things...

Thanks!

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
Re: Gluten Free Pizza dough?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 05:11:22 PM »
You might check Pamela's gluten free bread dough mix to see what she uses.  Invariably in GF breads, xanthan gum must be added to replace the gluten.  Plus there is a decided need to add highly refined flours like tapioca and white rice flour to keep it light enough to rise. The leavening besides yeast is eggs.  Some also add gelatin or agar-agar to improve the texture.   I have also used the recipe books of Carol Fenster and Bette Hagman, who have specialized in such foods. The easiest way to work this kind of dough is with a bread machine or you are stuck forever (literally) trying to get the dough off your utensils or dough hooks.   

Plan B: Food for Life has a frozen rice flour dough (nothing else added, I recall) that is a nice crunchy crust.  Problem though is that they tend to break easily in storage and most times the crust is in several pieces when i open the package.   
Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS
Instructor, Bauman College, Berkeley
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition by and Registered with NANP
Certified Diet Counselor, Nutrition Educator,  Nutrition Consultant, and Nutrition Teacher through Bauman College

Offline DevonC

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 07:51:17 AM »
Pamela's gluten free bread dough mix is quite tasty, so if you want to mimic a store bought, I would go with that. Or, easier, just by the mix! I used it to make my pizza crust this week and actually used less than half the dough for a whole pizza (as I prefer thinner crust!). It had great flavor and texture!
When you run, there are no mistakes, only lessons

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 05:12:11 PM »
Check out the products at Mariposa Bakery on Telegraph Avenue, Berkeley.

They sell a frozen pizza dough that tastes pretty good.

Meanwhile, try making socca, a southern France gluten-free pizza that uses garbanzo bean flour, water, herbs and oil.  Gregoire used to have a socca carryout place in Epicurious  in Berkeley, but he closed a year or so ago. You might ask for his recipe if you are near either of his stores: Cedar in Berkeley and Piedmont Ave in Oakland.

Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS
Certified Diet Counselor, Nutrition Educator,  Nutrition Consultant, and Nutrition Teacher through Bauman College

Offline MiraD

• Alumni
    • Grains&More
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 12:16:36 PM »
That recipe sounds awesome.  I am in TX, if anyone manages to get it can you please post it here.

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 12:50:13 PM »
Just google Socca and you will find recipes.  It's very very simple-- more like pancake batter but crispy when cooked in a cast iron pan.

Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS

Offline MiraD

• Alumni
    • Grains&More
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2009, 06:36:47 AM »
Thank you, Nori.  I did look it up and found this one www.chow.com/recipes/11011, wondering if those who have had it know how it compares to the ones mentioned by Gregoire?

Offline MaureenM

• Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 03:09:06 PM »
Namaste makes the best gluten free pizza dough that I've ever had. You will want to prebake it before you add your ingredients or else it doesn't cook through all the way.
It's a little pricey, but I think it's well worth it for gluten free pizza!

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 07:56:55 PM »
Gregoire, with whom I spoke, says the chick pea flour he procured for his business is imported. He tried many brands and settled on one that he found abroad.  I do not recall the country of origin, but I suspect one could contact him via the website. 

The recipe from CHOW looks about right, though-- very simple. Three Stone Hearth also has their version, which includes some great herbs and spices. 
Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS

Offline DianaA

• Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 04:25:24 PM »
This is one of the best Gluten Free Pizza dough recipes I have used. It is a modified version of a recipe found on www.livingwithout.com. Since this recipe makes 2 twelve inch pizza crusts, I will often freeze one for later use. I especially like that this recipe holds up well when using a lot of fresh vegetables (which can make other gluten free crusts soggy and not cook all the way through).

Gluten Free Pizza Crust for two twelve inch pizzas

1/2 cup Sorghum Flour (can substitute Tapioca Flour or Arrowroot Flour)
1/2 cup Tapioca Starch
1/2 cup Chickpea Flour (also known as Garbanzo Bean Flour)
1 cup Brown Rice Flour
3 tsp Xanthum Gum
2 tbs Sugar (I use Rapadura/Sucanat/or Dehydrated Cane Juice)
1 tsp Sea Salt
4 tsp Instant Dry Yeast
2 tsp Italian Seasoning (optional)
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder (optional)
1/2 tsp Onion Powder (optional)
1 1/4 cup Warm Filtered Water
1 Egg (To make Vegan, use flax gel = 1 tbs flax meal + 3 tbs warm water)
3 tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Cider Vinegar

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prepare two 12-inch round pizza pans by spraying them lightly with vegetable spray or brushing with olive oil.
2. Combine first eleven dry ingredients until well blended.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together water, egg (or egg substitute), olive oil and cider vinegar. Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients and beat for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth.
4. Place half the dough in each pan. Coat a sheet of plastic wrap with vegetable spray and place it oil side down on the dough. With the palm of your hand, push dough evenly to the edges of the pan to form a crust. Repeat with the second pan of dough.
5. Discard plastic wrap. Brush dough with olive oil. Top with pizza sauce, grated cheese and other toppings of choice. 
6. Bake in preheated oven on lowest rack for 14 to 16 minutes or until edges are golden. Let cool 2 to 3 minutes before slicing and serving.

Offline RobinP

• Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 08:24:29 AM »
Here is a recipe I learned at a GF cooking class.  It is simple and taste pretty good, although I want to try the others mentioned above.  It is from:

www.nourishingyouandyourchildren.blogspot.com

Crust:

1 Tbsp yeast
1 1/4 cup Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour
2 tsp Xanthan gum
1 tsp Celtic sea salt
1 1/2 tsp. Olive Oil
2/3 cup warm water

Preheat oven to 420 degrees.  In a bowl mix all dry ingredients together.  Add warm water and olive oil slowly until all is incorporated.  The dough will be soft.  Coat a cast iron skillet, pizza stone, or cookie sheet with olive oil.  Put dough on pan and use a piece of plastic wrap to spread the dough out as thin as you can.  Cook in oven for 9 minutes.  Remove and turn oven down to 400 degrees.  Put toppings on pizza and then put the pizza back in the oven for 10 more minutes until the cheese has melted and the edges are golden brown.
:-}

Offline NicoleP

• Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 03:25:50 PM »
I got this recipe from a gluten free cooking class I took.  I've made it a couple of times.  Its pretty easy to make and tastes great, enjoy!

1/2 cup arrowroot flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch (flour)
1 cup bean or chickpea flour
1 cup brown rice flour
3 tsp xantham gum
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp sea salt
4 tsp rapid rise yeast

1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 cup warm water
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar

corn meal for dusting (if you want)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Prepare 2 12" round pizza pans by brushing with olive oil.  Dust with the corn meal if using.

Combine first 8 ingredients until well blended.

In a separate bowl, mix the last four ingredients.  Add the liquid mix to the dry and beat for 2 -3 minutes or until smooth.  Place 1/2 of the dough in each pan.  Coat a sheet of plastic wrap with some oil and place it (oil side down) on the dough.  With the palm of your hand, push dough evenly to the edges of the pan to form a crust.  Repeat with the other dough ball.  Discard the plastic wrap, brush with olive oil and top as you wish.

Bake on lowest rack in the oven for 14-16 minutes of until the edges are golden.  Let it cool a few minutes, then slice and serve.

This recipe came from Living Without Originally, and was adapted by Beth Lebach (www.silversagepersonalchefservices.com)

anything