Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Organic milk vs. conventional milk  (Read 1438 times)

Offline rachelb660

• Alumni
Organic milk vs. conventional milk
« on: October 16, 2012, 01:56:41 PM »
Since starting the Nutrition Consultant program, I have received SO much helpful information regarding proper dietary habits.  However, in my independent, on line searches, I have found an abundance of conflicting info concerning the debate over milk.  Specifically, which is more nutritionally sound, organic or conventional milk?  While I'm sure a majority of people would say, "obviously organic" because it contains far less pesticides, hormones, etc., I have read that organic milk is ultra-pasteurized, leading to most of the natural nutrients being destroyed in the process.  This problem apparently isn't as evident in conventional milk because it is not heated to such extreme temperatures. So I ask, do the benefits of organic milk outweigh those of conventional milk? Or is this information I received simply erroneous?

Offline ErinL

• Faculty
    • Food As Nourishment Holistic Health Counseling
Re: Organic milk vs. conventional milk
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 06:25:49 PM »
There is a difference between RAW milk and pasteurized. As far as I know there is virtually no difference in the enzyme activity of pasteurized milk whether it be organic or conventional.

I recommend RAW milk for it's health benefits over any pasteurized milk. RAW is legally sold in some stores in CA, but not in CO and many other states. You can get around this in some states by buying a "share" of the cow and owning the cow you buy the raw milk from. Thus, it's now a political issue as well as a health issue for Americans.

Here is some additional and reliable info on RAW milk from the Weston Price Foundation.
http://www.realmilk.com

If you don't have access to RAW, I highly recommend organic dairy products. Most yogurt and other fermented dairy foods are reinoculated with live bacteria after the pasteurization process. The health risks of conventional dairy are too great in my opinion. Anyone else have any other info?
Erin Livers, Nutrition Therapist
Food As Nourishment Holistic Health Counseling
BC Faculty/Distance Learning Faculty, Boulder, CO (past)

Offline fleaf

• Faculty
  • Nutrition-Matters! Let's Get the Word Out...
    • Fern Leaf:  Nutrition Consultant and Wellness Coach
Re: Organic milk vs. conventional milk
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 05:03:58 PM »
Hi, Erin:  Thanks for your timely and useful comments on the Forum in this and other subjects.  Very helpful.  Fern
Fern Leaf
MPH in Public Health Nutrition from UC Berkeley
          Specialty focus: Aging and Public Health
NC, Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition
Member, Bauman College Board of Directors
DL Mentor