Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: What to expect of the work-load in the distance learning program for NC  (Read 7821 times)

Offline Kaya

Hello, to anyone who is in the process or has completed the distance education program for Nutrition Consulting, I am wondering about the workload of the homework assignments.  I read that the program can be done in 18+ months with 5-10 hours a week depending on the person.  My question is how realistic is it to start this program while having a full time job and busy life at the same time.  It has been some time since I was a student with homework and study time.  Truthfully, I'm afraid the assignments will be too difficult.  I'm a slow reader and it takes a little time for me to memorize facts.  I can learn if I am interested and inspired in the material being taught. I would love some honest in site on this program and the way the learning process is set up.  Thank you I appreciate any feedback. 

Offline Marsha McLaughlin

• Admissions
  • Staff
Re: What to expect of the work-load in the distance learning program for NC
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 03:52:17 PM »
Hello Kaya

Although most people will complete our Distance Learning Program in 18 months, with 5 - 10 hours per week of study, we do allow a maximum completion time of 30 months. This does allow for some flexibility for different learning styles.  I think it would be wonderful if you could visit one of our classroom locations.  You would be able to view our textbooks along with every homework assignment.  It may be helpful for you to see these so that you have a realistic view of what each homework assignment entails.  I would also be happy to overview homework with you over the phone if that is more convenient.  Please give me a call when you have a moment to talk.  My direct contact information is below.

Be Well,
Marsha McLaughlin
Bauman College Admissions Manager
800-987-7530 x305
marsha.mclaughlin@baumancollege.org

Offline Jimmy Wilson

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 01:42:18 PM »
Hi There!

I just graduated from the Bauman College Nutrition Consultant Program available via Distance Learning and I wanted to give you some insight into my experience to help answer your questions.  During the time I was completing the program I had a full time job as a marketing manager, a personal cheffing job on the weekends, an active social life, a regimented exercise schedule (marathon training), and a long distance relationship (east coast to west coast travel at least 2x/month).  I completed the program in 13 months with honors.  It was an AMAZING way for me (as a busy person) to complete the program.  Studying via Distance Learning allowed me to complete the homework while I flew on planes, listen to the lectures while I ran, or even download lectures and listen to them in the car on the way to work.  I could work late at night after I got home from work, made dinner, and got into my pajamas, and I looked forward to snuggling in bed with my textbooks.  I very rarely felt overwhelmed with that or any other life/work/school balance... Probably because of my love of the subject matter and how excited I was to be learning about whole foods nutrition.  If you too love learning about nutrition and how it shapes the body and the world around us, then you'll absolutely fine with the pace and difficulty level.  Hope this helps. Good Luck!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:17:20 PM by Marlina E »

Offline Kaya

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 01:47:51 PM »
Thank you so much!  This is exactly the kind of information I needed to hear.  Congrats of making it happen.

anything