Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Scrappy Vegetable Stock  (Read 3223 times)

Offline valeries720

• Alumni
Scrappy Vegetable Stock
« on: January 08, 2013, 03:32:13 PM »
I wanted to share this with the group, because it has totally changed my approach to vegetable stock. Instead of buying the expensive, sodium clogged stuff at the store, I use my own kitchen scraps to make my own, which is much better AND leaves me with that satisfied "I got this for free" feeling in my stomach.  I've copied & pasted the text, but this is the link to the blog where I got the idea.

http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/2011/03/guest-post-scrappy-veggie-stock.html

Vegetable Scrap Stock (makes about 3 quarts, cost per quart about $0.01)

Step 1 – Get Scrappy

I keep a one-gallon-size zip-top bag in my freezer, and add my vegetable trimmings anytime I cook.  Once the bag is full — which happens surprisingly quickly — it’s time to make stock!

Also, if I find veggies in my fridge that are “on their way out” but not actually spoiled yet, I may toss it into the freezer bag if it would end up going to waste otherwise.

The best scraps to use include:  Onions, garlic, carrots, celery, parsley, leeks, chard, mushrooms, scallions, potato peelings, lettuce, eggplant, zucchini, green beans, and bell peppers.

Other good scraps to include — but will impart more specific flavors, so be careful — include:  Asparagus, parsnips, squash, fennel, corn cobs, pea pods, and cilantro.

Scraps to avoid:  Turnips, cabbages, brussels sprouts (these all get bitter), and anything already rotting that you wouldn’t eat otherwise.

Step 2 – Boil ‘em!

Fill a large pot halfway with water, about 3-4 quarts, and bring to a boil.  Drop in all the vegetable scraps and bring back to boiling.

Step 3 – Simmer & Season

Once the pot returns to boiling, you may want to add some seasonings.  Good options include thyme, basil, and a bay leaf or two. I also add one or two teaspoons of kosher salt (remember, though — it’s easier to add more salt later than to take out too much!)

Simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Simmering longer won’t extract any more flavor, unlike when making meat stocks.

Step 4 – Strain

Allow to cool for a few minutes. Carefully scoop out the larger vegetable scraps with a slotted spoon, placing in a large bowl so they can cool.  Next, take a fine-meshed strainer or colander lined with cheesecloth, and carefully pour the remaining broth through the strainer into another pot.

Step 5 – Chill Out

Let everything cool to room temperature, which will take an hour or two. Give the broth a taste and add any additional salt or seasonings as desired.

Discard the vegetable scraps (compost, anyone?).  Then measure out the stock in 2- or 4-cup increments, and freeze in individual containers, being sure to leave a little bit of headroom for it to expand when it freezes.

Further Reading

If you’re intrigued by making your own stocks, you might also want to check out Deborah Madison’s Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, which has a great primer on stocks and soup recipes.

Offline emilyc198

• Alumni
My dogs love it- Scrappy Vegetable Stock
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 11:04:34 PM »
I love your post about the scrappy veggie stock. Its nice to have a no think- no hassle broth. Plus I love to feel i am creating a Stone soup like the fairytales and just throw it all in willy nilly.  I find that having some kind of baggie or container in fridge available at all times to hold veggie scraps helps me to create broths with more frequency. Its almost like a compost bucket in the fridge. I also highly recommend this method for creating broths to pour over dogs dry kibble food. I have two 100lb dogs and it requires alot of food to keep them going, so having a quick easy scrappy veggie broth( or bone broth) keeps their vitamin and mineral intake up. After I started this method of preparing their food with broth, they have less bouts of skin reactions and more energy overall.