Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: decadent banana-pear-cashew ICE CREAM  (Read 1931 times)

Offline NancyC

• Alumni
decadent banana-pear-cashew ICE CREAM
« on: July 12, 2013, 03:09:27 PM »
I used to think that the iPhone was the most brilliant invention ever, until I bought myself a Vitamix. I love it so much that we are getting married next month.

Okay, joking aside, I wanted to contribute an ice cream recipe I just fiddled with. It makes a creamy and dreamy ice cream that is perfect on its own, or will be the star on top of any dessert it pairs (pears) with. These ingredients are meant to join forces and indulge the taster.

1 ripe organic Bartlett pear (D'anjou and Bosc would be fine but need to be ripe)
1/2 cup creamy plain whole milk yogurt (I love Brown Cow; Strauss is fine too but a tad tart)
1/2 cup half and half or cream (Organic Valley has a great pastured half and half)
1/2 cup raw cashew pieces
3 FROZEN organic bananas
sprinkle of cardamom

In the Vitamix, place pear, cashews, yogurt, cream and cardamom. Liquify. (If it doesn't liquify, add a bit more cream). Throw in frozen bananas and use high power until the "4 mounds" appear. You will have variations as to the exact consistency but they will all come under the category of "ice cream". The batch I just made was soft ice cream and I managed to freeze the rest in glass container for later. The first time is intimidating but if I can do it, anyone can.

Most recipes ask to use ice cubes, which is adequate but dilutes the flavor. We take things up a notch at Bauman College don't we? I have been freezing watermelon (in the shape of ice cubes), berries, and bananas so there is no need to use ice cubes. Just use the frozen fruit. And I bet freezing different herbal teas would be interesting too.

I hope you will try this and play with variations. Happy Summer!

anything