Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Another thought provoking article, especially about gluten  (Read 2057 times)

Offline DianeF

• Faculty
Another thought provoking article, especially about gluten
« on: December 24, 2013, 09:32:23 AM »
Here's another article that walks us through some thorny territory and raises questions about Perlmutter's work, among others.
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/12/this-is-your-brain-on-gluten/282550/

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
Re: Another thought provoking article, especially about gluten
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 10:04:56 AM »
I really want to thank you for posting this article; it's one all of our students should read.

Having just read Grain Brain, I was both impressed and dismayed. The first problem was in the Introduction, where I encountered this statement: "...This is not just another diet book or generic how-to guide to all things preventive health. This is a game-changer." Every diet book in the world uses this ploy to lure in readers: Everything you've learned and been told before is wrong; this book has all the answers to your health issues. The problem to me is twofold: 1) Most people aren't so clueless as to have absolutely no idea what to eat to get and keep themselves healthy, and 2) there is no single right answer for everyone.

The material presented in the book is compelling, especially because it's so well-cited, yet I was constantly aware of omissions. There are so many causes of inflammation, and near and dear to my heart, Perlmutter pays absolutely no attention to hypothyroidism. (And yes, this can be related to gluten sensitivity but isn't always.) And, while it's completely true that diet plays a huge role in brain health, he takes it to an improbable extreme.

I'm deeply grateful for this critique.

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
Re: Another thought provoking article, especially about gluten
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 02:59:49 PM »
I agree, Jodi.  The "one-size-fits-all mentality of GRAIN BRAIN sounds deceptively simplistic, and it is. 

If you have reviewed his recipes section, he adds fuel to the fire of inflammation by supporting olive oil for cooking. 

Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS
Instructor, Bauman College, Berkeley
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition by and Registered with NANP
Certified Diet Counselor, Nutrition Educator,  Nutrition Consultant, and Nutrition Teacher through Bauman College

anything