Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Almond Delight  (Read 3233 times)

Offline BethL

• Alumni
Almond Delight
« on: July 14, 2007, 08:42:18 AM »
My first client as a Personal Chef is a woman with Celiac Disease.  She is under the care of a dietitian at Kaiser, Walnut Creek and follows recipes in a cookbook provided by her.  She wanted to learn how to bake a gluten-free cookie and the following has few ingredients (which she also liked).  Try it.  It's a nice chewy-sweet cookie using almonds and apricots.  Other dried fruit (dates, peaches) could be substituted.

GLUTEN-FREE DIET - A COMPREHENSIVE RESOURCE GUIDE, Connie Sarros, 2003, p.178

ALMOND DELIGHTS

Yield: 24 Cookies
Apricots and almonds are a luscious combination.

1 1/4 cups slivered, blanched almonds
3/4  cup   sugar (I substitued with Florida Crystals)

3   egg whites, unbeaten
1/4 cup     finely-chopped dried apricots
1.  In a food processor, grind almonds as fine as possible. Mix nuts, sugar and egg whites in a saucepan.
2.  Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 8-10 minutes, or until a path stays clean when a spoon is drawn through.
3.  Remove the pan from the heat; stir in chopped apricots.
4.  Drop the batter by heaping teaspoonfuls onto a greased cookie
sheet or parchment paper.
5.  Let cookies "rest" for 1/2 hour, then bake in a preheated 300F oven for 12-15 minutes, or till delicately golden on exterior but soft inside.
6.  Remove from cookie sheets immediately and let cool.

Reprinted with permission from: Wheat-Free, Gluten-Free Recipes for Special Diets by Connie Sarros, 2003; www.gfbooks.homestead.com
Nutritional Analysis
serving = 1 cookie
Calories (Real)   73
Carbohydrates (g)   9
Dietary Fiber (g)   1
Fat (g)   4
Protein (g)   2
Iron (mg)   0.3
Calcium (mg)   19
Sodium (mg)   8

Offline DevonC

• Alumni
Re: Almond Delight
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 09:46:03 AM »
I am also wheat intolerant and have gone gluten-free to combat it and have found how much more I actually enjoy the alternatives than the real thing! However, it does take a lot more creativity and effort to make the things that we do want in our diet. For me, just finding recipes and the time to make them is a challenge, especially since when working with alternative ingredients there seems to be a greater threshold for error (i.e. the old, this tastes nothing like a pizza crust, muffin, piece of bread that it was intended to or tastes just downright odd or has a weird texture).

What I set out to do to help this was find resources on the web of those who are living gluten-free and blogging about it. For me, this gives me access to a veritable "test kitchen" and helps me proceed when making recipes with confidence.

My favorite blog is http://iamglutenfree.blogspot.com/index.html.
The author links to books about being gluten-free, as well as other blogs that are about the same.

When you run, there are no mistakes, only lessons

anything