Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: L-Glutamine for those with MSG sensitivities?  (Read 6754 times)

Offline Megan

• Alumni
L-Glutamine for those with MSG sensitivities?
« on: May 05, 2014, 08:14:08 AM »
Hello,

I was hoping to get some insight on this from some of the knowledgeable people at Bauman! I'm a bit confused on this topic, I didn't think that those with a MSG sensitivity would react to L-glutamine but am learning that might be the case. Can you lend me your thoughts on this?  Thanks!

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
Re: L-Glutamine for those with MSG sensitivities?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 08:36:21 AM »
L-glutamine can become L-glutamate (and vice versa).  The key vitamin to prevent glutamine from becoming glutamate is vitamin B6.  Most amino acid therapies are done away from food and with the addition of vitamin B6 to ensure accurate delivery and/or transamination (conversion to a downstream amino acid). 

A side bar- Glutamate can become GABA, the most abundant calming neurotransmitter in the body, when there is adequate protein and low/no interfering factors such as salicylates, as Dr Ben Feingold found worked for children in a 1 million child study 1979-1984 in the Bay Area. 
Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS
Instructor, Bauman College, Berkeley
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition by and Registered with NANP
Certified Diet Counselor, Nutrition Educator,  Nutrition Consultant, and Nutrition Teacher through Bauman College

Offline Megan

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 11:19:27 AM »
Thank you so much Nori!!

Offline Megan

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 11:26:54 AM »
Sorry one more item - when utilizing L-glutamine for situation like leaky gut, IBS, etc. I have often used Innate Response GI Response or GI-10 - overall I've seen great results. Now looking at the ingredients I notice there isn't an addition of B-6, and wondering if that's something that's used separately or if other good quality lines combine those? I'd consider adding in B vitamins separately but away from food I am concerned about nausea.

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 07:40:59 PM »
Hard to find that combo but taking a P5P supplement of 30 mg even away from or with the following meal would work fine.
Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS
Instructor, Bauman College, Berkeley
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition by and Registered with NANP
Certified Diet Counselor, Nutrition Educator,  Nutrition Consultant, and Nutrition Teacher through Bauman College