Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: soy  (Read 6024 times)

Offline SuzanneA

• Alumni
    • Unlock the Mystery of Your Migraines
soy
« on: July 29, 2007, 09:20:50 PM »
 There are hundreds of contray studies and researches out there regarding soy. Some proclaims that soy is unhealthy and bad food for humans, while the others consider it as a nutrient food and beneficial. WHAT IS THE TRUTH?

Thanks,

Suzanne
Yes..., you can bring an end to your migraines,
Suzanne Abboud CNE

Get Your FREE Gift!
"The 3 Unknown Secrets to Get Rid of Your Migraines Naturally..., so they Don't Return"

http://www.unlockthemysteryofyourmigraines.com

Offline Greg

• Alumni
    • GilletteNutrition
Re: soy
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 08:35:30 AM »
Soy can have some benefits if it is consumed in a fermented form: miso, tempeh, etc.
Unfermented soy is not healthy as it is very hard to digest and it has enzyme inhibitors and phytic acid, which can affect the absorption of certain nutrients. I would stay away from soy nuts, soy milk, soy protein powders, etc.
Traditionally, soy was consmed in small amounts and it was fermented. Modern soy foods are relatively new to society and I see no reason to consume them.
Remember, the soy industry is huge and the more consumed, the more money they make.
Many so called health foods are just a big marketing ploy by big business.
I am conviced that you can be a very healthy person with no soy consumption at all, even the fermented stuff.
Have you checked out the Weston A Price foundation and their take on soy?
"Be the change you want to see in the world!" Ghandi
Nutrition Educator - Bauman College
Herbal Consultant - New Mexico College of Natural Healing
www.gillettenutrition.com

Offline Sondra Barrett

• Former Bauman College Faculty Member
    • Sondra Barrett  Mystic Molecules
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 10:58:36 AM »
Soy has a multitude of benefits and some key points to be aware of:
1. First  of all, soy is one of the most common GMO foods - so always make sure the form of soy you do use is organic.
2.  The original benefits of soy noted here 'in the west' was the much lower incidence of coronary vascular disease, breast and prostate cancer in the Asian population whose main protein souce is soy.  So soy products and isolated proteins soon became recommended to lower cholesterol.  One conclusion from some of the studies here was for soy to have its positive effect it needed to be consumed starting at a young age.  If you are interested in pursuing some of the US research funded by the government check out clinicaltrials.gov as well as NCCAM (national center for complementary and alternative medicine).  NCCAM is the arm of research that investigates some of the nutritional claims.

3.  Key proteins in soy act as antioxidants as well as have some estrogenic activity, hence soy is called a phytoestrogen.  They can help with increasing bone density especially if taken with calcium.  However as a phytoestrogen, soy can be problematic.
4.  Problematic:  women with breast or ovarian cancer should not be taking soy supplements.  Most oncologists I've spoken with prefer these women limit their dietary intake of soy as well.  Women at high risk for breast cancer should also avoid soy supplements and high dietary intake.  Why - the estrogenic activity of the soy proteins can stimulate estrogen receptor+ tumor cells to grow.

So my conclusions are that organic tofu is a great protein source for those who want to limit their animal protein intake.  Except for those noted above.  The fermented products are okay for those who can handle them.
PhD, Biochemistry, University of Illinois Medical School
Post-doctoral fellow, Immunology-hematology UCSF
Teaching bodymind medicine since 1988.
Mentor:School Garden Network"cooking from the garden"
Teaching NE and NC at Bauman since 2007

Offline jessicat553

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 11:55:47 AM »
Two years of veganism and the frequent use of soy products SEVERELY disrupted my endocrine and hormonal balance. I always used organic soy, and often in the fermented forms. The result was hypothyroidism, and many menstrual problems including ovarian cysts. Please read the following article about one woman's story of how soy affected her health.

http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/onewoman.html

Good luck,
Jessica

Offline Leah

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 12:30:58 PM »
I need some advice.  I have celiac (I can't have any gluten/wheat) and I can't have any dairy.  What do I drink in place of milk? I've been using soy milk and now I'm scared to drink it after that article!  I need something for calcium.  I never feel good after I take calcium supplements so I don't take them which worries me also.  I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks
Leah

Offline jodi f.

• Curriculum Consultant
  • Staff
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 01:46:06 PM »
Suzanne,

Have you read Kaayla Daniel's book, The Whole Soy Story? She spent four years researching it, and it contains over 600 references. It contains very useful information.

Leah--I recommend coconut milk for some of my clients, since the rice and nut milks are highly processed and contain sugar. You could, of course. make your own nut or rice milk (there are lots of recipes available). For calcium, almonds and leafy greens and sesame seeds are good sources, as well as being good sources of magnesium, deficiencies of which are very common, as you probably know. And you know, soy milk only has calcium because it's added, so you're basically taking a supplement. You might also consider having vitamin D levels checked, since you need optimal levels (50ish) to use the calcium you take in.

I also spent a few years as a soy-based vegan--a poorly nourished one, as I now know--and I have also developed hypothroidism. Can't prove it was the soy, but in large quantities soy IS a goitrogen.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 03:48:36 PM by Oshyan Greene »

Offline Jesse Miner

• Alumni
    • Jesse Miner - Vegan Personal Chef
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 06:35:30 PM »
Very healthy soy-consuming 16-year vegan checking in (with the blood work to prove it)
! :)

Jesse
Jesse Miner
Vegan Personal Chef
San Francisco, CA
jesse@chefjesseminer.com
www.chefjesseminer.com
650-274-8089

anything