Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Bauman cookbook's Grain Salad: Yum!  (Read 2439 times)

Offline CathyF

• Alumni
Bauman cookbook's Grain Salad: Yum!
« on: August 12, 2007, 09:40:58 PM »
Hi all,
I love the Bauman cookbook Recipes & Remedies for Rejuvenation and just demo-ed a really good recipe that went over very well in my NE class, so I'd thought I'd share it. It's on page 47. I adapted it a bit, but that's what's so great about this one; you can change the grain, veggies and nuts/seeds everytime to get a totally different look and taste. Enjoy!

Grain Salad
Ingredients:
3 cups cooked quinoa (rice, barley, bulgur, millet, or buckwheat).
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 cup cooked corn kernels (2 ears)
cup chopped red pepper
cup chopped celery
cup chopped sweet onion
2 T cilantro or parsley
1 cup cooked black beans (soaked and steamed) or other bean, such as pinto or white
cup sliced almonds (or sunflower seeds or hazelnuts)

Basic Italian Dressing:
vinegar (apple cider, rice, or balsamic; or can use lemon or lime juice)
1/8 cup water
cup extra virgin olive oil
1 clove fresh minced garlic
Pinch of parsley, basil, oregano, salt, pepper
(can also add Dijon mustard, nutritional yeast, flax seeds, and dulse)

Directions (serves 10):
Cook the quinoa first and set aside. Next, chop the carrots, red pepper, celery, onion and cilantro by hand or in a food processor, and set aside. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half or quarters and set aside. Cook the corn then shave the kernels off into a bowl with a small serrated knife. Add the vegetables, beans and cilantro to the quinoa. Mix thoroughly.

For the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, water, olive oil, garlic, and herbs. Drizzle a small amount of dressing into the salad and mix (add more to your taste). Mix in the almonds last (preferably just before serving). Garnish the top of salad with some additional almonds.