Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: A solution for the dessert addict  (Read 2830 times)

Offline jessicad688

• Alumni
A solution for the dessert addict
« on: October 14, 2015, 04:49:58 PM »
I'm a total dessert addict and have been working on cutting back on my intake of sugar. However, it's really hard to kick that craving for something sweet and delicious after dinner. I recently discovered the most excellent and completely healthy treat:

Banana "ice cream"
- Peel fresh bananas and divide into three sections. Freeze for at least 24 hours. (I keep them on-hand at all times for this recipe and for smoothies)
- Place bananas in a blender or food processor and process until creamy and fluffy. Texture will be just like ice cream (seriously!)
- Top with organic, full-fat whipped cream and enjoy

Offline wesleym262

• Alumni
Re: A solution for the dessert addict
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 10:14:18 PM »
great idea!

i feel the same way about having something sweat after a meal.

i just came up with this chia pudding recipe.

healthy fat, plenty of fiber and a few booster foods!

1 can 13oz can of coconut milk
1/2 c chia seeds
3 tbs cocoa
2 tbs honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cayenne

blend all ingredients and chill for 4 hours

this make 4 servings

enjoy

Offline melissaz712

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 11:59:20 PM »
I'm so glad to see someone else loves banana ice cream ("nice cream") as much as me! Have you tried adding raw cacao powder to it? It makes chocolate, which is my favorite; I will add a little bit of honey or pure maple syrup sometimes because the cacao is quite bitter. I also like to add frozen strawberries, too, to make strawberry "nice cream."

Offline lynnf995

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 10:13:37 PM »
Three cheers for banana ice cream! For a special treat we like to add frozen pineapple and /or almond butter....but I might try adding ferment cashew butter next time! Then its a booster food right!

Also I just came up with flax pudding (we ran out of chia and I needed sweet lol)
 flax about the egg swap ratio
warm water
lakanto 1 or 2 tbsp.'s depending on how much you make and how sweet you want it
raw organic cacao nibs
coconut butter and or shavings

Offline lisas872

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 06:56:57 PM »
This sounds great because my hubby and I have a horrible habit of ice cream at night.  This I can do!  I am going to freeze my bananas tonight.

Offline VanessaZ

• Alumni
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 11:28:48 AM »
I suggest doing a sugar "fast" where you do not eat sugar for a certain period of time- if you do not eat sugar then you do not "crave" sugar.  The Whole 30 explains this process in detail and calls it feeding your Sugar Dragon when you eat sugar. Before the whole 30 I ate fairly healthy, organic fruit and vegis, grass fed pastured meat, and limited my grains but could not get rid of my desire for sweets- sometimes during the day when I was tired or often after dinner before bed. I completed the whole 30 and feel GREAT and have NO sugar cravings at all and was very suprised and what a difference it made in how I feel considering I thought I was eating fairly healthy before.

Offline morganm759

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 02:22:20 PM »
I am the same way but found a healthy alternative playing around in the kitchen :) 1. its super easy 2. it takes literally 2 mins to make...30 secs to inhale and 0 time cleaning up! I call it the MUG CAKE.

Ingredients: 1/4C of almond milk (or anything you prefer), 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder, 1/2tsp baking powder, 1T unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/2T any ground nut or flour, touch of vanilla extract, and stevia. Put everything into an oversized mug stir well and put into microwave for 1 min. Watch it grow! Eat immediately, and ENJOY!

Offline Marlina E

• Associate Director
  • Administrator
    • Bauman College Online
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 03:46:20 PM »
Wow! That sounds very intriguing. I am going to have to check that out.
BA Environmental Studies UCSB
Nutrition Consultant

Offline BoooD4455

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 08:58:55 AM »
I know a one Tasty Vegan Cake - Blueberry Mug Cake   https://greenann.com/recipe/vegan-mug-cake/
 Ingredients:
⅓ cup Blueberry
5-7 soaked overnight Almond nuts
DRY INGREDIENTS:
4 tbsp Whole-wheat flour
2 tbsp Sugar
1 pinch Salt
tsp Baking powder
WET INGREDIENTS:
8 tbsp Almond Milk
1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
tsp Vanilla extract