Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Overweight husband  (Read 1115 times)

Offline marshall

Overweight husband
« on: March 01, 2017, 07:59:38 PM »
I love my husband very much, but his growing belly is making me less attracted to him. He is not ready to take supplements to reduce the belly fat as he believes that these medicines have got cancer inducing chemicals in them. So, we are looking for natural methods to reduce weight and a friend of mine recommended for a weight loss program ( http://www.pinewoodhealth.ca/weight-loss-treatment-programs.aspx?ServId=48f38c37-90b6-442a-a27f-07bc29360dcd ) in Toronto. She says that they have got a special "Healthy and Active" nutritional program where a nutrition plan is created separately for each individual. I think that method is more healthy compared to other methods.
I wanted to know whether the results of this program are permanent.Is there anybody over here who has tried this method before?

Offline ErinL

• Faculty
    • Food As Nourishment Holistic Health Counseling
Re: Overweight husband
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 01:05:31 PM »
Finding a weight loss method that works has been a huge undertaking for Americans (and Canadians!) as evidenced by America's billion-dollar weight-loss industry. Much of those dollars spent are on trying to lose weight the second or third time after previous methods have failed. The first thing to keep in mind with any weight loss program is that the results will never be the same from person to person because everyone is different: their state of health, their physiology, their diet and their level of commitment or motivation.

I would first find out if your husband wants to lose weight, because if he isn't committed to it, then nothing will work. If he does, then find out what he's willing to change about his diet and lifestyle. The ONLY weight loss program I know that works long term is to work with a nutritionist who can support your husband to make diet and lifestyle changes that he's committed to and enjoys. Often, there are health issues that underlie weight gain and it's important to investigate them as well. For instance, if your husband has gained enough weight to become insulin-resistant, then it may be helpful to use a nutritionist who can educate your husband based on data from his recent healthcare visits about the health risks of his condition, about how to go about healthy weight loss and reversing this pre-diabetic condition that can accompany weight gain, and what to expect on his journey.

Without buy-in from your husband, getting health and nutrition education, and making changes to his diet and lifestyle habits, it's likely that a weight-loss program won't have long-lasting success.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 01:07:31 PM by ErinL »
Erin Livers, Nutrition Therapist
Food As Nourishment Holistic Health Counseling
BC Faculty/Distance Learning Faculty, Boulder, CO (past)