Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Need to make vegetables more attractive for the family  (Read 1267 times)

Offline sheilahunt

• Alumni
Need to make vegetables more attractive for the family
« on: March 07, 2017, 10:37:22 AM »
I need suggestions on how to incorporate more vegetables into my families diet.  While I enjoy a decent amount of variety of vegetables getting my husband to eat anything other than green beans and a spinach salad can be really challenging.  He thinks broccoli and cauliflower stink when cooking (which he is right) and I refuse to cover them in cheese to get him to eat them. 
Are there any cookbooks or websites that make introducing a more varied variety of vegetables easier for the whole family?
Thanks in advance!

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
Re: Need to make vegetables more attractive for the family
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 07:58:20 PM »
The 2 cookbooks you have for your course of study should be helpful. I also like THE GARDEN OF EATING by Matesz. The creamy broccoli soup, with avocado blended in at the end, is amazing.

Your husband may be a super taster, in which case he tastes more bitter than most -- 10% of the US population have this trait.  www.supertastertest.com offers low cost test strips you can use to figure it out. 

Adding more salt and fat can help camouflage the bitterness.. Also cold dishes tend to have less stimulation to the palate (like cold drinks). 

FInally, soups and stews can hide nicely a wealth of vegetables. 

Hope some of this will help. 
Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS
Instructor, Bauman College, Berkeley
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition by and Registered with NANP
Certified Diet Counselor, Nutrition Educator,  Nutrition Consultant, and Nutrition Teacher through Bauman College

Offline mouali

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 10:11:25 AM »
I started making the eggs muffins with a variety of vegetables and add bacon or smoked salmon to eat to kill the eggs and the other vegetables smells and everyone in my family is enjoying their veggies this way. The good thing about it is you can have them for any meal. and really easy to make.

Offline shellyc689

• Student
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 04:53:59 PM »
Making soup with well-blended vegetables is a good way to introduce more vegetables into the diet. I recently made the Spicy Carrot Soup from Amy Chaplin's At Home in the Whole Food Kitchen for a group of friends that are heavy meat eaters. Despite being intimated by the amount of carrots I threw into the blender, they all ended up really enjoying the soup! 

Offline adesalvo

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 06:37:41 PM »
I love making vegi soups because you can make a big batch to last and incorporate a lot of different vegetables in one dish.  I've used a cookbook called "Superfood Soups' by Julie Morris.  I also recently added these cookbooks to my collection and can't wait to use them more! 'Plenty' or 'Plenty More' by Yotam Ottolenghi & 'The Vegetable Butcher'  by Cara Mangini. Plus there's a blog I've been following recently called "My New Roots" by Sara Britton. https://www.mynewroots.org/site/ She has a new cookbook but posts a lot of recipes online. She's also a Holistic Nutritionist!

Hope this helps!

Offline BoooD4455

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 11:36:50 AM »
Try this recipe - Baked Cauliflower Buffalo Bites  https://greenann.com/recipe/cauliflower-buffalo-bites/
It's like healthy and tasty chips))