Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Nut Milk (Kid Approved)  (Read 983 times)

Offline jessicaruiz

• Alumni
Nut Milk (Kid Approved)
« on: May 20, 2017, 11:17:07 AM »
Hello -  I recently started making my own almond milk as my stomach does not do well on cows milk.  I usually just blend the nuts, water, and add some cinnamon to mine and it works for me.

I have now noticed that my son gets upset stomachs after he drinks cow milk.  I had him try my milk and of course he made that "this is nasty" face. 

I was wondering if anyone had any good nut milk recipes they could share with me.  Maybe something that is a little sweet that my son may enjoy.

Thanks!

Offline dianegorczyca

Re: Nut Milk (Kid Approved)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »
Hi Jessica!

Here is my recipe for nut milk - I usually add a Medjool date or two for sweetness. My 9-year-old niece loves it made with almonds or a mix of almonds and cashews.

NUT MILK RECIPE

Ingredients
1 cup organic, raw almonds or organic, raw cashews, or combination of both. Can also use/add any other organic, raw nut and/or seed that you like.

3 cups pure water, plus additional pure water for soaking nuts overnight.

1-2 Medjool dates (pitted), depending on level of sweetness desired

1/2-1 tsp. vanilla extract

Pinch of pink Himalayan salt

Optional cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, and/or other spices, to taste

Directions
Place nuts in container and add enough water to submerge nuts. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Drain nuts in strainer. Place nuts, water and date(s) in high-speed blender with water. Blend on high speed for 1-2 minutes. Do not overblend, or mixture will be too frothy.

Open milk bag and place inside large bowl. Pour blended nut mixture into bag and gently squeeze bag from top to bottom so that milk drains down into bowl. When most of the milk is drained from the bag, wring out the bag to capture last drops of milk. Discard pulp or reserve for other use. 

Add vanilla, salt and optional spices to milk in bowl and stir gently to combine. Pour milk into sanitized bottle(s). Milk keeps for 3-4 days in refrigerator.

Also, have you tried goat milk? Cow milk upsets my stomach as well, but I am able to digest goat milk with no problems. Additionally, cultured cow milk products, such as yogurt and kefir, tend to be more easily tolerated.

Hope this helps!