Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Reduce Stress and Improve Health with Restorative Yoga  (Read 1133 times)

Offline meganodonnell

• Alumni
Reduce Stress and Improve Health with Restorative Yoga
« on: October 01, 2017, 04:28:12 PM »
Reduce Stress and Improve Health with Restorative Yoga

Restorative yoga is being with what is. It is an intimate practice that cultivates physical relaxation and encourages the practitioner to tune into the deep silence that exists within.

Restorative practice affects the nervous system. Resting quietly in comfortable and supported postures, encourages a shift from the sympathetic nervous system (also known as “fight or flight” response) to the parasympathetic nervous system which helps create a state if balance.

When the parasympathetic nervous system is activated, muscles relax, heart rate decreases and digestive enzymes are released.

Regular practice of Restorative Yoga offers a variety of benefits including, reduction of stress, calming of anxiety, soothing of depression, reduction of inflammation and deeper sleep.

Attending a Restorative Yoga class is useful but not necessary.

The practice of Savasana or the "corpse pose" can easily be practiced in your home.

To begin, find a quiet place where you will not be disturbed by others. Let family members or roommates know that you will by practicing so they do not interrupt you.

Support your head in a comfortable position. It is best for the forehead to be raised higher than the chin and for the chin to be tucked.

Place a rolled blanket under the knees so the knees are 2x higher than the ankles. For additional support, place a rolled towel under the ankles at the achilles tendon.

Open your arms out so the upper arm does not touch the torso.

Cover your eyes with a hand towel to block light and cover yourself with a blanket to stay warm.

Set your timer for 20 minutes and enjoy.

The benefits of Restorative Yoga are cumulative. Make time for yourself and commit to a daily practice. After regular practice, 20 minutes will hardly feel like enough time. 

by Meg O’Donnell

Meg O'Donnell is a student in the Nutrition Consulting program at Bauman College. She studies Restorative Yoga with Judith Hanson Lasater.

Offline karenweaver

• Alumni
Re: Reduce Stress and Improve Health with Restorative Yoga
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 08:48:57 AM »
Thank you for the post. I'm working on reducing stress as well as trying to find a healthful way to be physical that I can incorporate as a part of my routine at home. One of the poses you suggest is the "corpse pose" but are there others that are helpful for stress and anxiety? Also if I wanted to do restorative yoga at home do you have any suggestions for resources to learn more without going to a studio or class?

Offline anniemaebasham

• Alumni
Re: Reduce Stress and Improve Health with Restorative Yoga
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:38:46 PM »
Thank you for writing this post! I often experience anxiety and have been looking for effective tools  to help lower my stress levels. I’ve been very interested in incorporating restorative yoga into my lifestyle, and I’m wondering what strategy you would suggest for someone just starting out to incorporate more restorative yoga practice into their lifestyle. I know you’ve mentioned starting with 20 minutes of practice, but do you have any more suggestions when it comes to developing a strong restorative yoga routine in order to effectively manage stress/anxiety? In addition, while restorative yoga appears to be more of an exercise in mental health, do you know if it has benefits similar to that of cardiovascular activity, such as: reduction of body weight, reduction in bad (LDL) cholesterol, increase in good (HDL) cholesterol, etc?

anything