Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: "The End of Night". How light affects us physiologically  (Read 1114 times)

Offline DianeF

• Faculty
"The End of Night". How light affects us physiologically
« on: October 18, 2017, 04:03:10 PM »
This is a really interesting article on light pollution in general, and specifically, what it can do to us physiologically.

https://aeon.co/essays/we-can-t-thrive-in-a-world-without-darkness

Offline suebenun

• Alumni
Re: "The End of Night". How light affects us physiologically
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 11:03:14 AM »
After reading the article "The End of Night", I'm struck by just how much the intense light of our cities and our ipads/iphones/computer screens can effect our health.  As a border line insomniac, I pay close attention to articles on sleep and found so much of this article to be a wake up call (pun intended).  One statistic from the article that interested me was that only 2 hours of exposure to a bright tablet at night can reduce melatonin levels in a person by 22%.  In experiments with rats that were exposed to constant light, they exhibited symptoms of depression and actually gained weight.  It was interesting to consider that this change in circadian rhythm actually contributed to the weight gain because the rats were eating when they should have been inactive or asleep. In our future, will it become more common to attribute an abundance of light exposure at night to depression, obesity and cancer as this article suggests?