Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Effect of Naltrexone or Antabuse in Alcoholic Patients?  (Read 1129 times)

Offline christineengen

Effect of Naltrexone or Antabuse in Alcoholic Patients?
« on: January 10, 2018, 01:47:19 PM »
Hi All, I hope someone can help. I am going to specialize in Mental Health and Substance Abuse. I have a client who takes Naltrexone for cravings (it blocks the pleasure center in the brain, used mostly for opiod abusers but can also work for alcohol abuse) as well as Antabuse (which causes the enzyme that metabolizes alcohol to malfunction, and will make the user very ill if he/she drinks alcohol while on this drug). I cannot find ANYTHING online or otherwise that gives any information about the effects of this drug on general health. I understand that if a Medical Doctor prescribed it, that it is determined by the MD or Psychiatrist to be more beneficial than harmful, however I am curious how I can otherwise support my client's health while she is taking these drugs. Apparently Antibuse can cause harm to the liver if used long term. She has to take blood tests every 3 months to check her liver function.
Anyone? THANKS

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS
Instructor, Bauman College, Berkeley
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition by and Registered with NANP
Certified Diet Counselor, Nutrition Educator,  Nutrition Consultant, and Nutrition Teacher through Bauman College