Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Vegan Curry Cauliflower Soup  (Read 878 times)

Offline kaylabrandon

• Alumni
Vegan Curry Cauliflower Soup
« on: March 26, 2018, 12:30:50 PM »
Want a creamy, hearty, healthy bowl of soup with a rich flavor profile? Look no further!

My husband and I recently went to Austin. We had lunch at Flower Child downtown and fell in love with their creamy cauliflower soup. Luckily, they were generous enough to give us the ingredients (well I think my husband begged and told them it was my birthday and that we lived far far away.. hahah). But, I had to figure out how to put it all together! If you're ever in Austin, go get this soup. Seriously. Don't miss it. And they also serve chaga tea. YUMLIFE! I was basically in vegan heaven.

Here is my modified version. Vegan and free from gluten + soy. Heats up well the next day too (soup is always better day 2 ... is that just me?)

What you'll need:
- Food processor or Vitamix, or a janky blender but just do it in sections (been there!)
- Large skillet or pan (deep enough to hold all ingredients)
- A good sharp knife

Ingredients:
1 can coconut milk (full fat)
4 tbs coconut oil or grapeseed oil
1 sweet yellow onion (julienned)
2 pieces of lemongrass (rough chopped ... I like to just smash 1/2 the stalk with the back end of a knife)
2 tbs fresh ginger (peeled + rough chopped)
6 carrots (peeled + rough chopped)
1 jalapeno pepper (seeds removed and rough chopped), or 2 if you're feelin' frisky
5 cloves garlic (skin removed and smashed)
1 head cauliflower (rough chopped)
2 limes (juiced)
4 tbs curry powder
Basil
Cilantro

To taste/optional,
Maple syrup
Salt + Pepper
Cayenne
MORE curry powder

Instructions:
1. In large, deep skillet throw the coconut oil, garlic and onion in on medium until they start to brown a little.
2. Add in the cauliflower, lemongrass, ginger, carrots, jalapenos, and 1/2 the lime juice. Stir frequently. Cook on medium for 10 - 15 minutes or until the carrots are pretty soft.
3. Add in your can of coconut milk + curry powder. Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Taste it! Does it need salt? Pepper? Cayenne? More curry powder? A little maple syrup just for fun? Add it in!
5. Add in some fresh chopped cilantro and basil + the rest of your lime juice, carefully remove your lemongrass, and then pour it into your Vitamix (easier if you have a buddy to help you ... this can get messy!) If it's too thick to blend, add a little water. Then blend on medium/high until suuuuper creamy.
6. Taste it again. Does it need anything? Add it in!

Serve with some cilantro or basil garnish and hot sauce! And if you really want to get fancy, make some/purchase some sugar free coconut milk yogurt as a creamy + tangy topping for this soup.

ENJOY!

I think this makes like... 4 - 6 servings, but I've never written a recipe before. So, good luck!

Nutrition Information (rough estimates)
Serving size: 1/6 of recipe
Calories: 345
Fat: 30 g
Saturated fat: 26 g
Carbohydrates: 21 g
Sugar: 8 g (without the maple syrup)
Sodium: 80 mg
Fiber: 6 g
Protein: 5 g