Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Lab-Grown Meat: A step in the right direction or too scary?  (Read 902 times)

Offline delisaobrien

• Student
My friend just shared this video with me: https://www.facebook.com/Reason.Magazine/videos/10155730451279117/ about the founder of Just, Inc. and the push back they are getting from ranchers about their lab grown meat.

First off, "Reason" magazine is a libertarian site/publication so be warned that they do come with an agenda of removing big government influence from a lot of  industries and pushing for free market. Now that we know there is a little bias to the piece, I am personally conflicted about this. As a supporter of "clean" eating and sustainability/caring for the Earth, it seems that what Just is doing is pretty amazing. However, there is the part of my brain that feels like the natural order of things is to raise chickens and cows from egg/calf to adult and not cloning their cells in a lab. I'd love to try their products though and at least give it a try.  How do you all feel about this? Have you tried any of Just's products?

Offline joseerockwell

• Student
Re: Lab-Grown Meat: A step in the right direction or too scary?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 12:01:40 PM »
As a vegetarian for 5 years this is a very interesting topic for me. I have never heard of the Just company but have tried many of the plant-based meats they showed in the video such as Beyond Meat. I agree with you about being conflicted. It's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that their products are made with animal cells so technically they wouldn't be vegan, correct? I feel like this would exclude much of their target audience. Although, if they are able to convince meat eaters that their products are better for the environment and still provide the same as eating meat does for them then I think they could be on to something. I checked out their website and was able to see that their mayonaise is for sale at my local grocery store so I'm definitely going to give it a try!

Offline Laura Knoff

• Faculty
Re: Lab-Grown Meat: A step in the right direction or too scary?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 06:18:08 PM »
As a former research chemist I am leery of lab grown meat or eggs. It seems like it would not be energy efficient and sustainable. One also wonders how a lab can provide all of the nutrients needed at a cost that the average person can afford. The energy needed to sustain the conditions needed to grow the cells certainly is a problem as well. Nature has been producing animals in a balanced environment for millions of years. I trust nature.
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Certified Nutrition Consultant, Nutrition Instructor, Nutrition Educator and Diet Counselor
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition and Registered with NANP
Nutrition Educator and Nutrition Consultant Instructor at Bauman College since 2000

anything