Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Lectins and thyroid  (Read 600 times)

Offline melissadelgado

Lectins and thyroid
« on: August 14, 2018, 09:46:48 PM »
Hello,
I recently read about the affects of lectins from legumes leading to wait gain for those with thyroid issues. Is there truth to this topic? Thank you

Offline James

Re: Lectins and thyroid
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 05:44:07 PM »
This came up in an email a friend sent to me because she was reading some stuff on the supposed toxicity of lectins by this guy Grundy. This was my response:

"One of the big things about diet is there is so much speculation. For instance with Grundy his basis is the toxicity of the lectins. But if someone else comes along they can point out the toxicity of many of the foods he claims are alright to eat such as the strong goitrogenic effect of the flax seeds he says are OK or the high oxalic acid content of the purslane he claims is fine to eat."

Of course Gundry sells a lectin blocker so he has a financial incentive to hype of the dangers of lectins.

We also have top keep in mind that there are various types of lectins and to to imply that all are dangerous is ridiculous. That like saying because one plant fruit is poisonous this means all plant fruits are poisonous.

Also I looked in to some of the research instead of what is simply being repeated on the internet without fact checking. I can find very little backing Gundry's claims and what I could find was discussing cell cultures.  What happens in a Petri dish is not always the same as what happens in the body since in the body there are factors that can change the results such as metabolism, lack of absorption, digestion, etc.  Another factor is binding, which could be the case with lectins. Lectins can bind with carbohydrates, which are part of diet, but not part of the Petri dish culture studies I have seen. So this brings up the question does the carbohydrate binding of the lectins in diet block or reduce lectin absorption. Just like how dietary oxalate levels have very little to do with blood oxalate levels since dietary oxalates bind with minerals such as calcium in the diet preventing their absorption.  So we cannot rely on and apply Petri dish studies to how things work in the body yet that is what a lot of people seem to be trying to do.

Gundry even goes as far as claiming the lectins induce autoimmune hypothyroidism yet this study states one of the roles of lectins is to prevent autoimmune reactions:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12223269

"Biochim Biophys Acta. 2002 Sep 19;1572(2-3):187-97.

Animal lectins: a historical introduction and overview.

Kilpatrick DC1.

Author information

Abstract

Some proteins we now regard as animal lectins were discovered before plant lectins, though many were not recognised as carbohydrate-binding proteins for many years after first being reported. As recently as 1988, most animal lectins were thought to belong to one of two primary structural families, the C-type and S-type (presently known as galectins) lectins. However, it is now clear that animal lectin activity is found in association with an astonishing diversity of primary structures. At least 12 structural families are known to exist, while many other lectins have structures apparently unique amongst carbohydrate-binding proteins, although some of those "orphans" belong to recognised protein families that are otherwise not associated with sugar recognition. Furthermore, many animal lectins also bind structures other than carbohydrates via protein-protein, protein-lipid or protein-nucleic acid interactions. While animal lectins undoubtedly fulfil a variety of functions, many could be considered in general terms to be recognition molecules within the immune system. More specifically, lectins have been implicated in direct first-line defence against pathogens, cell trafficking, immune regulation and prevention of autoimmunity."

anything