Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: probiotic supplement recommendations  (Read 726 times)

Offline jessicacostello

• Alumni
probiotic supplement recommendations
« on: August 19, 2018, 04:56:02 PM »
There are so many different options out there for a daily probiotic supplement. I checked the forum history and the recommendations I saw from this question being asked previously were from 2007 so I wanted to circle back and see if there is any new information on how to choose a good daily probiotic or if there are any specific brands that you all have tried and can recommend?

If there is one more focused on woman’s health, specifically for helping with candida or chronic yeast infections I would be interested to know.

Also, I am curious why some probiotics require refrigeration and some do not. Does that difference have any correlation with the quality of the supplement?

Thanks in advance!

Offline anniekelly

Re: probiotic supplement recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 06:24:36 PM »
I would like to know too, so following :)

Offline susan

• Faculty
  • Susan Arthur
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 05:12:45 PM »
HI Jessica,

I recommend Flora Adult Formula. For client's that have dysbiosis or potential for issues; on-going candida or urinary tract infections, long term BC use, periodic use of anti-biotics, etc. I like the higher potency of this product  Flora Advanced formula.
There are other good products, but I really like this one. It is one that needs refrigeration.

The difference between refrigerated and non refrigerated PB's is what is called "enteric coating" the bacteria is protected by micro encapsulation which protects the live bacteria from heat, air and light. The potency is usually lower but it is helpful for clients who forget to take the PB's because they are in the fridge. Otherwise I do prefer those kept in the fridge. 

Another brand that is excellent, especially for women with candida issues is Natren. It is quite pricey but excellent therapeutically. They have a product that includes an oral supplement and a suppository. Another product I have seen excellent results with for people with active yeast infections is Candex. It has fiber and enzymes that actually breaks down the cell walls of the yeast so there is not "die off" thus less discomfort and cramping.

I hope this gives you some things to look into.
Certified Nutritional Consultant
Personal Nutrition & Lifestyle Consultant; Transformations in Health
Bauman College Instructor
DL Mentor
Reiki Master
Behavior Modification Counselor/Trainer

Offline James

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2018, 11:01:42 PM »
I prefer cultured foods, such as milk kefir for several reasons.

First reason is that most probiotics are very limited in the number of strains there are. Even though we cannot provide additional levels of all of the thousands of beneficial strains found in our body it helps to provide as many strains as possible. Most probiotic supplements contain one to about 18 strains of beneficial bacteria. Milk kefir has around 22 beneficial strains of bacteria and yeast.

Secondly a lot of probiotic supplements are of questionable activity since there is no way to tell how long they sat around as raw material, how long as a finished product, of they were shipped by UPS or the Post Office in their non-air-conditioned trucks in the heat of summer, etc. Kefir is freshly made and is kept refrigerated even during shipping.  If you let it sit for a few weeks capped you will notice the container starting to expand. This does not mean it is going bad, it shows the cultures are live and active. The bacteria are fermenting the sugars in the kefir, which produces carbon dioxide gas that expands the container. This decreases the sugar content and increases the levels of beneficial acids in the product making it more sour. The fermentation continues until all the fermentable sugar is used up.

More important than probiotics are prebiotics. Probiotics are great for cases of food poisoning or a jump start after antibiotic use. But again no probiotic source will replace all the thousands of beneficial strains of flora. The good news is that antibiotics don't kill all your flora. There will always be some survivors and those need to be fed to rebuild their numbers. This is where prebiotics really come in to play.

As for Candida the biggest mistake people make is they try to kill the Candida, which simply does not work. Keep in mind that Candida is a normal part of our flora in its benign yeast form.  It is only pathogenic in its fungal form and the form is determined by pH. In a normal acidic environment the Candida growth gene turns off and the Candida remains in its benign yeast form. In an alkaline pH, such as when the beneficial acid producing flora are reduced by antibiotic use the Candida growth gene is turned on and the Candida morphs in to its pathogenic fungal form. In its fungal form the Candida forms finger-like projections called hyphae that allow the Candida to dig in to tissues leading to damage and inflammation.

Because Candida is a normal part of the flora trying to kill it does not really work since as with the bacteria you are never going to kill them all off. And if the pH of the terrain is not restored to the proper acidic pH the Candida growth gene remains on and the Candida remains in its pathogenic fungal form.

There are herbs such as lapacho (ipe roxi, pau d' arco,. taheebo, etc.) that are effective in knocking back the Candida temporarily but again they do not change the pH of the terrain to stop the Candida growth nor to keep it in its benign yeast form. Therefore I do not recommend this as a long term solution but rather a temporary symptom reliever until the flora can be restored.

Another tactic some people try are the enzymes cellulase and hemicellulase to attack the Candida. In my opinion this is the worst idea ever and I did a video on this exact topic years ago.  Our flora do produce tiny amounts of cellulase and hemicellulase allowing them to break down the cellulose and hemicellulose in the fibers we ingest. These enzymes will break these fibers down in to their individual glucose units that they can then use as a food source for the fermentation.

The enzymes are believed to digest the cellulose and hemicellulose in the Candida cell walls. Although there is the question if the enzymes actually reach the Candida to begin with since enzymes can be digested by our digestive system just like other proteins. And even if the enzymes manage to somehow avoid digestion the next question is will they work in the pH of the terrain? Some enzymes function in an acidic environment and others in an alkaline environment.

Another big problem with these enzyme products is that the enzymes will pre-digest the probiotic fibers. This not only starves the flora of its food source but also increases blood sugar levels due to the increased glucose formation. Therefore these enzymes starve the flora reducing the necessary acid formation to control the Candida all while increasing glucose levels to feed the Candida.

anything