Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: FDA approved stomach-draining obesity treatment  (Read 1049 times)

Offline diannewagner

• Student
  • Master Trainer, Single mom of twins, Dog lover.
FDA approved stomach-draining obesity treatment
« on: August 23, 2018, 05:39:18 PM »
I came across an article on Facebook last week that the FDA has approved a device to remove 30% of what someone eats before it digests. Seriously.  The article from U.S World  reports  that the AspireAssit system is a thin tube implanted in the stomach, connecting to an outside port on the skin of the belly.  About 20 minutes after finishing a meal, the user connects the ;art to an external device and it drains the recently consumed food into the toilet   Removing approximately 30% of food from the stomach.   Side effects include nausea, vomiting, constipation and diarrhea.  AND A REALITY CHECK.  How can the FDA think this is a good way to help the obesity epidemic in America?  So instead of teaching these people how to eat clean and reboot the metabolism we are going to start a doctor driven FDA approved type of bulimia   This does not make any sense to me.  As a fitness professional for over ten years part of my job is to teach health through eating. Never does it include, just eat that and we can deal with it later.   
diannewagner
Dianne B Wagner
Make Today Memorable

Offline morganstandard

• Student
Re: FDA approved stomach-draining obesity treatment
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 08:18:09 PM »
That's awful. It sounds like something that would come from a fake-satire news article. I went and did a search on this and it is true indeed. I'm sure they don't tell people about all the possible complications which could arise. They do have some amazing success stories but this seems risky to me. Like it could cause some serious infections and I wonder if death could be a potential side effect.

In my opinion there's just something inherently wrong with a tube placed in the stomach, going through the mucus layer out of the stomach, into the abdominal wall and out onto the skin where it drains your food. My questions are...What is the tube made of? How will it react with the acid in the stomach? What are the by-products of the chemical reaction between the tube and hydrochloric acid? How long does it last? If it needs to be replaced how much will it cost? How does the stomach contents not leak out of the stomach into the abdominal cavity? So much to consider. Like you said, it is better to teach people how and what to eat rather than go through what is surely unnecessary.

Offline paulaalexander

• Alumni
Re: FDA approved stomach-draining obesity treatment
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 01:29:27 PM »
This does sound terrible!  It really is like being given a way to become bulimic.  Bulimia is so damaging to the body!  How will it affect HCl and absorption of needed nutrients.  This sounds like a lot of what if's and potential side affects for little reward.  a 12% weight loss 1 year after treatment according to the article would still equal obesity for many who have a BMI over 35 or 40.
I wonder if it's users would try to cheat the system some way, eating too much every meal would surely  stress the pancreas, gallbladder and liver.  This device seems extreme and dangerous.  When healthy eating and lifestyle changes made slowly and with mindful intent could aid the someone fighting to lose weight so much more.

https://www.healthline.com/health/bulimia/effects-on-body#2
Health is my greatest wealth!

anything