Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Gastric Sleeve Client  (Read 1457 times)

Offline sheilahunt

• Alumni
Gastric Sleeve Client
« on: January 14, 2018, 04:31:15 PM »
All,
I'm in my second semester of the Nutrition Consultant program and have someone who is willing to work with me for the class.  She admits she had a gastric sleeve surgery about 6 years ago. 
I'm searching for reliable research on the topic of gastric sleeve and nutrient absorption or lack there of. 
Have any of you worked with a gastric sleeve client and how was your experience?  Anything I need to be aware of?
Thanks in Advance.
Sheila

Offline paulaalexander

• Alumni
Re: Gastric Sleeve Client
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 04:18:55 PM »
Sheila,   I am a new student in the NC program but think that this is a very interesting question.  I don't know the answer, However I found these sites which I thought may be helpful.   https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/375185-plant-based-diet-after-bariatric-surgery/  &  http://www.laparoscopic.md/bariatric/sleeve/what-digestive-changes-occur-after-gastric-sleeve-surgery & https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4391395/
We are just beginning to study about the absorption that occurs in the digestive system.  I am looking forward to learning more.   I wonder on which part of the digestive system the sleeve alters the most as that would affect absorption I would imagine. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:31:15 PM by paulaalexander »
Health is my greatest wealth!

Offline paulaalexander

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 10:23:55 AM »
Sheila,  I also came across  Dr. Garth Davis he is a bariatric  physician who now promotes the WFPB lifestyle.  He has U tube videos.  also check out Chuck Carroll on pcrm.org podcast and his website http://www.theweightlosschampion.com he went through the surgery.
I am interested in this topic as I am morbidly obese and have lost 85 pounds so far and have another 85 to go to reach my goal.  I want to help people like me escape obesity and come back to health through WPBP lifestyle.   So,  I hope you don't mind that I am posting even though I don't know the answer to your question. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 10:26:09 AM by paulaalexander »

Offline sheilahunt

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 01:04:50 PM »
Paula,
Thank you for the replies and the links.
What I have learned is that due to her type of procedure (gastric sleeve) she had 80% of her stomach removed basically making it a long tube.  She has decreased ability to create and use stomach acid and therefore is subject to decreased B12 absorption, from the reduced amount of intrinsic factor her stomach is able to create now.  She also is at risk of acquiring more digestive disease since her stomach acid is reduced and she won't be able to make an adequate amount of acid to kill any bacteria on her food. 
She has had a tremendous amount of digestive distress since the surgery that we are still trying to sort out.
The information out there is sparce which I find troubling considering how many people are looking to this procedure as a solution for weight loss. 
Based on our 2.5 months of working together I can honestly say I wouldn't recommend this procedure for very many people.  From what I've learned thru Bauman I believe we need to keep every organ possible in order to be able to assimilate nutrients, vitamins and minerals from the food we consume.  Also from this short time together I would suggest that before going for surgery I would suggest working with a counselor to help people deal with their stress levels and any eating behaviors they might have. 
I would also suggest that someone work with a functional doctor to determine if there are any hormonal imbalances, not just estrogen but leptin and gherlin imbalances should be checked as well.  This client might not have had to have this surgery had she gone thru these steps first.
I wish you lots of luck in your nutrition journey and congratulations on that very significant weight loss.  I believe that as you continue to learn thru the Bauman program you will find other ways to help yourself on your continued weight loss journey. 

Offline paulaalexander

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 07:09:13 AM »
Shelia,  Thank you for sharing what you have learned as you have been working with your client.  I was told by my doctor that I would be a good candidate for such an operation.   Thankfully,  I am a big chicken when it comes to such procedures and at the time didn't have insurance so the out of pocket expense was prohibitive.    I think when my doctor said those words to me it forced me to begin looking for a healthier options and to begin to deal with my weighty issues! 

Offline diannewagner

• Student
  • Master Trainer, Single mom of twins, Dog lover.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 05:51:36 PM »
I have had several clients go through this procedure.  Sadly many have gained the weight back.  Actually most.  Problem worse now as they are heavy again and unable to absorb nutrients well.  Sandie is back to 270pds and weak and thin hair and a terrible memory.  She only eats 700 calories a day, or so she claims and so taking the weight back off is impossible.  She lost over 100 originally, but through snacking of bad choice foods has put it all back on. I have two others now tipping the scale at over 200, close to 300 who have done this procedure.  Jennifer  has to have B12 shots monthly to find the energy to get through the day.  Jennifer also has many teeth issues from the stomach acid and throwing up so often.  She too has thin hair.  The body finds a way to gain the weight back but not to absorb the minerals and vitamins back.  I think partially because these clients snack all day on crap and don't eat a salad ever. Too hard to digest.   My last client case is from my family and did this without asking me about it.  As of now she is a size 4 but I see her eating badly and drinking beer and so it is just a matter of time.  I NEVER recommend this surgery and think our medical community is doing no service to those they do.
Dianne Wagner Fitness Professional sense 2017
Dianne B Wagner
Make Today Memorable