Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Balancing Hormones / Clear Skin  (Read 1694 times)

Offline savannahlubomirski

• Alumni
Balancing Hormones / Clear Skin
« on: March 05, 2018, 10:28:27 AM »
Does anyone have suggestions for balancing hormones?

I've had an issue with my hormones for over a year now and am struggling to balance them. I believe my hormones were initially unbalanced after too much intense cardio for a year. I was spinning 5-8 times a week, and did some strength training in addition which I've learned the hard way is WAY too much for my body. After I significantly cut back on my exercise my symptoms were relieved, but shortly after I stopped using birth control. My hormones are yet again all over the place. It's been 8 months and while I feel good, my skin is the lasting symptom. I've always had clear skin until my hormone issues, and while it's getting better the process is SO slow.

I currently take maca, ashwaganda, collagen, DIM, zinc, CBD, and vitamin E. I eat very clean, low sugar, mostly gluten free, no processed foods, no meat except eggs and fish.

Any suggestions would be appreciated !

Offline jillpalmer

• Alumni
Re: Balancing Hormones / Clear Skin
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 08:57:47 PM »
Hi there! I am an acne/skin clearing coach, so your thread jumped out at me!  It actually sounds like you're doing *amazingly* in terms of herbal help - I wouldn't really recommend much more. I would however, ask, have you gotten your hormones tested recently? That's always something I recommend for people if and when they feel like they cannot get a hang of their hormonal symptoms. It could give you some really good insight about what *specific* hormonal imbalances you're struggling with and then that way you can take supplements uniquely tailored to what's going on in your body. I hope this action step helps, at least a little bit!

Offline James

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 04:14:15 AM »
Posted this in another thread earlier:

"As for acne make sure this is what you actually have. Several skin conditions can mimic and be easily mistaken for acne.

If it is acne this is a problem that is aggravated by the androgen hormones (testosterone and progesterone), although the base cause would actually be bacteria in the pores.

A few things that can help are:

- Check medications such as steroids and birth control pills to see if they may be contributing.

-Digestive bitters to help the liver do a more efficient job of breaking down excess hormones. I recommend a half dropper full on the tongue and swallow before meals. Do not use bitters though if your gallbladder has been removed and make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day when using bitters.

-Supplementing with zinc. No more than 50mg daily.  Take zinc with your largest meals. It is also a good idea to use zinc supplements with copper. These are usually 50mg zinc with 2.5mg copper.

-Supplementing with trimethylglycine (TMG). This derivative of beet leaves is a strong methyl donor. Methylation is essential for about 4,000 reactions in the body, including the breakdown of excess hormones by the liver.

-Increase your fiber intake. This actually helps with hormone binding and feeds the flora that break down hormone metabolites."

Want to add on the vitamin E do not exceed 400IU daily. Higher doses can lead to hormone fluctuations.  Also note that vitamin E is not a singular vitamin but rather a class of tocopherols and tocotrienols. I prefer a mix of natural tocopherols and tocotrienols as opposed to the synthetic or a single tocopherol or tocotrienol.

Offline briannetheiseneaton

• Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 12:45:59 PM »
Hi Savannah,

Your post jumped out at me because you and I have had almost the exact same experience...

I was a professional athlete for 10 years and trained extremely hard (intense cardio, strength training, just overtraining in general). This wasn't something that I could avoid as it was part of my job. When I started getting acne 6 years into my professional career, I was confused as to where it came from because it wasn't something I dealt with as a teenager. Just as you were, I eventually went on birth control to control the acne.

Once I retired from athletics and stopped training so hard, I wanted to get off the birth control and get a handle on the acne, so I went to a naturopath who had me get some lab work done and my cortisol levels checked. It turned out my cortisol levels were through the roof (probably from the stress of all the training), which was causing my fasting blood glucose (blood sugar) to be high as well. For a woman in her late 20's, in really good shape, with a healthy diet, having a high fasting glucose (out of the conventional reference range) is odd.

My naturopath had me focus on lowering my blood glucose as I was also noticing some slight fatigue in the afternoon (typical sign of rollercoaster blood sugar). This meant very little carbohydrates (wheat products (including gluten-free), fruit, and starchy vegetables (sweet potatoes, potatoes, beets)). Within a couple of weeks I noticed my acne drastically change, and am now off my birth control with very little acne at all.

I agree with James. Acne is a problem that is aggravated with androgen hormones, and my blood sugar levels were affecting these. Maybe a step you could take would be to watch how many gluten-free products and starchy vegetables you are eating. Remember that those things also turn into sugar in your body.

Best of luck!

Offline laceykalber

• Alumni
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 02:38:07 PM »
Hey Savannah,
I realize that I am really late getting in on this conversation but it jumped out at me because I have been looking more into hormonal imbalances myself. I am an athlete and I have acne that started for the first time in my life when I was about 29 years old. I came across a podcast where Dr. Stacy Sims was being interviewed. Her main point was that women are not small men, and as a female athlete we should be cognizant of our hormonal differences. Everything that she talked about really resonated with me and I grabbed her book Roar right away. Basically she talks about matching your exercise with your hormonal cycle and understanding how to support your body during those fluctuations. For example, when both estrogen and progestorone are at their lowest (phase 1 of your cycle) this is when you are able to make the biggest strength gains.

One thing that really helped me was to download the FITR woman app. It tracks your cycle and tells you what is going on with your hormones, the type of exercise you should be doing and the best foods to eat to support hormonal balance and athletic performance.

If you feel that you are out of balance, a good natural remedy would be to seed cycle. A simplified version is this:
During days 1-14 of your cycle take 1 Tbs of fresh ground flax seeds and I Tbs of fresh ground pumpkin seeds
-Flax helps flush excess estrogen out of your system while the high zinc in pumpkin prevent excess estrogen from converting to harmful forms of testosterone.
During days 14-28 of your cycle take 1 Tbs of fresh ground sunflower seeds and 1 Tbs of fresh ground sesame seeds
-Both seeds help with progesterone production.
Couldn't hurt to try it! Hope this helps.

anything