Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Brain Fog  (Read 825 times)

Offline micaelaarredondo

Brain Fog
« on: October 16, 2018, 02:29:26 PM »
I'm a current cancer survivor, along with my chemotherapy I experienced brain fog, it continues to linger. Will anyone of you  please share with me what are the best nutritional foods to ingest, that may bring me out of my fog?

Offline krystaljordan

• Alumni
Re: Brain Fog
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 12:56:50 PM »
Hi there micaelaarredondo!
I am sorry that you are affected by cancer but I am happy to see you are thinking in terms of nutrition for healing! I am curious, are still doing chemo currently, or is your cancer in remission? I am asking because if you are still going through chemo treatments, a lot of things I would suggest will hurt you instead of helping.
In good health,
Thank you
Krystal J

Offline Laura Knoff

• Faculty
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 05:36:03 PM »
While certain high dose supplements could interfere with the effectiveness of some chemotherapy drugs, a diet with plenty of fresh seasonal and organic vegetables can help protect brain and nerve cells from further damage and can even revive them.. You might also consider foods rich in high quality organic fats such as coconut oil, nuts, seeds and grassfed ghee. Rebecca Katz has some delicious recipes that can help. Check out her 2 cookbooks for cancer recovery.
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Certified Nutrition Consultant, Nutrition Instructor, Nutrition Educator and Diet Counselor
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition and Registered with NANP
Nutrition Educator and Nutrition Consultant Instructor at Bauman College since 2000

Offline James

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 04:51:01 AM »
What you are referring to is commonly known in medicine as "chemo brain"..  The term is misleading as it is not always the chemo that causes it directly., Other causes can be increased cortisol from the stress of having cancer, anemia induced by treatments, hypothyroidism that can also be from stress and nutritional deficiencies from the nausea and vomiting induced by some therapies.

Without knowing the cause it is hard to give more specific recommendations. A few herbs that work great for memory though are bacopa, gotu kola and ginkgo biloba. Periwinkle (Vinca minor) is my absolute favorite and is stronger than all the other herbs, but is harder to come by. You can get the same alkaloid that is one of the primaries in periwinkle, which is sold as the supplement vinpocetine. Note bacopa (Bacopa monnieri ) is sometimes referred to as gotu kola (Centella asiatica) but these are completely different plants.

I also like lecithin for brain function as it provides building blocks for the brain and acetylcholine. These are phosphatidylcholine, phosphatidylserine, phosphatidylethanolamine and  phosphatidylinositol.