Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Cholesterol question  (Read 715 times)

Offline oksanateicholz

• Alumni
Cholesterol question
« on: November 07, 2018, 10:19:10 PM »
Hello everybody,
I have a question about cholesterol.

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the recommendations on consumption of dietary cholesterol and about cholesterol in general. One book I am currently reading (“Natural Medicine” Third Edition by Michael T. Murray, N.D. and Joseph Pizzorno, N.D.) says that a “diet high in fat, particularly saturated fat, trans fatty acids, and cholesterol is linked to heart disease and numerous cancers.”  (boldface is added) While I agree that trans fatty acids are detrimental to our health, I am confused about cholesterol. Later on the same page, it says that “consuming trans-fatty acids and cholesterol result in unhealthy cell membranes.”

I also read an alternative view in “Holistic Anatomy: An integrative guide to the human body” by Pip Waller that cholesterol is necessary for steroid hormones production like sex hormones, aldosterone, and cortisol, and vitamin D. Cholesterol is also the main ingredient of bile salts, which help digest fat. “So, cholesterol itself is not a bad thing – it is essential for life.”

Also, caps on consuming dietary cholesterol was dropped by the AHA in 2013

Dropped by the American Heart Association in 2013
“Insufficient evidence”

and by the US Dietary Guidelines in 2015

Dropped by the US Dietary Guidelines in 2015
”Cholesterol is no longer a nutrient of concern for overconsumption”
(Part D, Ch. 1, p. 17, lines 642-646 of the 2015 Dietary Guidelines Advisory Report)

This is confusing. There are obviously competing views out there. I would love to hear people’s opinions about this issue. Thank you for reading.

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
Re: Cholesterol question
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 02:36:06 PM »
You might look at Malcolm Kendrick (DOCTORING DATA) and this web site http://thincs.org/ plus Uffe Ravnskov and the Weston A Price Foundation for compelling research on cholesterol.

The only bad cholesterol is oxidized from the diet (as in powdered eggs, pasteurized yolks often at omelet bars), and overcooked eggs) or from bodily oxidative stress.  I would suggest anyone concerned about cholesterol to get measured their LDL  particle size and number, Lipoprotein (a), homocysteine,  and high sensitivity c-reactive protein.  Nutritional solutions abound for any of these they are not in range. 

Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS
Instructor, Bauman College, Berkeley
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition by and Registered with NANP
Certified Diet Counselor, Nutrition Educator,  Nutrition Consultant, and Nutrition Teacher through Bauman College

Offline Laura Knoff

• Faculty
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 04:29:45 PM »
Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ls9HWRxvMo for a video of Malcolm Kendrick discussing the cholesterol hypothesis and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDlF-z_x7vc by Tom Naughton director of the movie Fat Head. The idea that cholesterol causes heart disease is not valid and will eventually be phased out if not for the drug companies investment in cholesterol lowering drugs.
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Certified Nutrition Consultant, Nutrition Instructor, Nutrition Educator and Diet Counselor
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition and Registered with NANP
Nutrition Educator and Nutrition Consultant Instructor at Bauman College since 2000

Offline James

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 04:12:05 AM »
I addressed this topic in this old blog post:

https://medreview.wordpress.com/2007/06/04/the-cholesterol-myth/

It must also be kept in mind that diet generally plays very little role in cholesterol levels as sterols in diet bind cholesterol preventing absorption of most dietary cholesterol.

Virtually all cholesterol in the body is produced by the liver.

The main reasons for high cholesterol are liver dysfunction or hypothyroidism.

Cholesterol is essential for building myelin and cell membranes, vitamin D synthesis, production of various hormones from sex homones to prostaglandins,. etc.

Abnormally low levels of cholesterol increase the risk of heart attack, stroke, dementia and depression.

Offline Laura Knoff

• Faculty
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 04:01:51 PM »
Cholesterol levels below 150 are linked to increased cancer risk since cholesterol is an antioxidant that supports the immune system and detoxification. The studies do not distinguish between naturally saturated fats and industrially saturated (hydrogenated) fats or oxidized fats.
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Certified Nutrition Consultant, Nutrition Instructor, Nutrition Educator and Diet Counselor
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition and Registered with NANP
Nutrition Educator and Nutrition Consultant Instructor at Bauman College since 2000

anything