Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Water filtration system  (Read 826 times)

Offline jenniferparker

• Alumni
Water filtration system
« on: November 11, 2018, 05:53:55 PM »
I use a Brita filter at home to filter the contaminates in our water supply. Lately, Iíve been questioning the effectiveness and now want something better for me and my family. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Offline Lila.Volkas

• Global Moderator
Re: Water filtration system
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 10:29:34 AM »
Hi Jennifer,

Check out  this forum thread to see more discussion about water filters :https://www.baumancollege.org/forum/index.php/topic,15965.msg41159.html#msg41159

Personally, I have a Berkey water filter and I love it!

Offline jecelytorresramos

• Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 01:30:59 PM »
Hi Jennifer,

The Environmental Working Group (EWG) has a great website with very helpful information regarding water filters. It even has a guide that helps you choose based on type of water and specific contaminants. Might help you with choosing a new water filter. I use a PUR filter but after some reading and searching on the EWG website, I will be getting a new one soon.

https://www.ewg.org/tapwater/water-filter-guide.php

Hope you find one that works for you!
Jecely

Offline lorifebbo

• Student
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 07:32:05 AM »
Hi fellow students,

I'm researching water filters and am reading through the EWG site. 

A friend recommended a system through a company called Radiant Life. 

I can't tackle a whole house water filtration system but will start with a water filter installed under the sink that will filter hot and cold drinking water at a dedicated tap.  I'll connect the main kitchen faucet too, if that's an option.  Our plumber is NOT experienced with these systems, so I have a number of questions.   

Can anyone shed light on which of these features is essential/most important in a water filter?  Radiant Life advertises a 14 stage water filter that: 

Purifies
Sterilizes
Restructures
Remineralizes
Alkaline Rebalances

Is it necessary to have the water in the house tested before buying the filter?  I researched our municipal water supply and it meets/exceeds Federal standards, but it still contains a number of contaminants.  I haven't tested the water in the house (the plumbing will be all new -- street to house and within the house, because the house is currently under construction.)

If we filter water in the kitchen, but not the bathrooms what are our top concerns?  How dangerous is it to shower in water that is meeting FDA drinking water standards?

Thank you for your advice and guidance, I appreciate it.

anything