Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: liver health  (Read 957 times)

Offline michelleruby

• Alumni
liver health
« on: November 11, 2018, 06:30:04 PM »
I have a question concerning liver health. My liver feels congested a lot of the time. I have done many gallbladder/liver flushes and it has felt a little better but I am still having strong symptoms of being sluggish  Are there certain foods/supplements that could be helpful clearing it and getting rid of the symptoms? Or any other suggestions? Thank you!

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
Re: liver health
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 02:29:42 PM »
I really like Sandra Cabot's site: https://www.liverdoctor.com/ . Plus she has a great book on he gall bladder. 

Something not often considered with regard to any health issue is the role of EMFs. Try shielding any Smart meter near you, reducing cell phone time, turning off your router and putting your phone into airplane mode at night or when not in use.  Do not wear your phone on your body. 

Also, some find the release of emotions helpful to letting go of liver congestion, especially that associated with the liver-- anger. 

The foods I favor for liver health include radishes (especially Spanish black radish), daikon, beets, cruciferous vegetables and citrus fruits. 

Rebounding and acupuncture, cholagogues and cholarectics are other considerations. 

Finally, be asleep by 10:30-11  and avoid eating past 7 pm unless you have hypoglycemia.

Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS
Instructor, Bauman College, Berkeley
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition by and Registered with NANP
Certified Diet Counselor, Nutrition Educator,  Nutrition Consultant, and Nutrition Teacher through Bauman College

Offline Laura Knoff

• Faculty
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 03:48:44 PM »
I would add to Nori's reply that green, sour and bitter foods most support the liver. Beets and probiotic rich cultured foods (sour!) can reduce the toxic burden on the liver. Milk thistle seed extract, dandelion leaf and root and burdock can support the liver and gallbladder. Most important is to drink adequate pure water. Deep breathing allows the diaphragm to massage the liver for free. Pay attention to what works best for you.
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Certified Nutrition Consultant, Nutrition Instructor, Nutrition Educator and Diet Counselor
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition and Registered with NANP
Nutrition Educator and Nutrition Consultant Instructor at Bauman College since 2000

Offline James

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 04:36:42 AM »
Not sure what you mean by the liver feeling sluggish. We do not feel changes in liver function. Do you mean a sluggish gallbladder leading to problems like constipation and impaired dietary fats?

As for the "liver flushes", if you are referring to the ones with oil, magnesium and vinegar or lemon these have no effect on the liver. The large amount of oil will contract the gallbladder increasing bile output acting as a laxative as well as the magnesium further acting as a laxative. It is this laxative effect that makes many people feel better, and occasionally the increase in magnesium that is needed for about 300 functions in the body. 

Also keep in mind that the green squishy blobs people are passing are not gallstones and definitely not liver stones. These are blobs of saponified oil as lab analysis has proven. These blobs also lack the hardness, density, shape, texture, melting point or composition of gallstones as well as the color of the ultra rare liver stones.

The most effective way to improve liver and gallbladder function is with bitters, which are simply bitter tasting herbs. When these herb contact and stimulate the bitter receptors on the tongue this in turn stimulates the vagus nerve. This in turn increases stomach acid, bile secretion, pancreatic enzymes and stimulates liver function.  This is why they are often referred to as digestive bitters.

I recommend bitters for various things including indigestion since it increases digestive juices, hormone imbalances and acne since it increases the livers ability to break down excess hormones and to lower cholesterol since the liver not only produces cholesterol but also breaks down excess cholesterol.

It is very important to drink plenty of water throughout the day when using bitters to help with flushing the body.

And don't use bitters if you have a peptic ulcer or do not have a gallbladder.

If using commercial digestive bitters I recommend 1/2 dropper full on the tongue before meals. Many have high levels of berberine and anthraquinone stimulant laxatives that are not good for long term use at the higher doses recommended on the bottles. And you only need to taste the bitterness to work.

The other option is to just put a pinch of powdered bitter herbs on the tongue such as andrographis or gentian root, suck on the powder a few seconds and swallow.

As far as liver supportive herbs my favorites are schisandra berry, bupleurum, licorice root, and milk thistle seed especially if used as a bitter. Contrary to popular belief milk thistle does not stimulate the liver if not used like a bitter. In capsule form the bitter receptors are not stimulated and the milk thistle seed only works as a liver protectant and growth simulator.  The turmeric extract curcumin is as effective as milk thistle seed in protecting the liver from toxin damage.

Offline kylemacnamara

• Student
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 08:21:24 AM »
In addition to getting proper sleep and taking milk thistle extract, another way to improve liver health plays off the same method of action as these tactics. Increasing glutathione levels is a great way to insure healthy liver function. Although taking glutathione orally as a supplement has not shown to be an effective way at raising blood levels, there a few ways you can do this through diet. First, increase your consumption of sulfur rich foods such as beef, chicken, salmon, and cruciferous vegetables like broccoli and brussels sprouts. Even adding garlic to dishes is a great way to spur natural glutathione production. Second is to consume high amounts of vitamin C.  Some studies have shown that consuming 500-1,000mg of vitamin C daily increased levels of glutathione by 18% in white blood cells and 47% in red blood cells https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12499341 . Glutathione is a powerful antioxidant that can help reduce stress on the liver and improve function. The liver is an amazing and vital organ so i hope this helps you heal it.

anything