Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Oral Health  (Read 463 times)

Offline jillirish

• Student
Oral Health
« on: August 29, 2018, 04:40:42 AM »
I would like to get a better understanding of what we can do to keep our mouths and teeth healthy.  Are there toothpastes that are better than others?  I have been using Toms toothpaste, but always look for the ADA approved label.  What about fluoride in toothpaste?  Is it helpful or harmful? 

I would also like to get some feedback on oil pulling.  I have been oil pulling a few times a week with organic coconut oil and find this makes my mouth feel clean and my teeth white.   Are there actual long term health benefits to doing this regularly?

I appreciate any other tips others are using to keep their mouths and teeth healthy.  Please feel free to suggest reliable resources too.

Offline cheyennewright

• Student
Re: Oral Health
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 07:44:49 PM »
Hi Jill,

Here is the link to a guide for holistic dentistry which includes the best tips on how to maintain oral health within a holistic framework:

https://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/dentistry/guide-to-holistic-dentistry/

Dr. Weston A. Price is well-known in the holistic nutrition field; here is a short bio of him from the website:

"Dr. Weston A. Price (1870-1948), a Cleveland dentist, has been called the “Isaac Newton of Nutrition.” In his search for the causes of dental decay and physical degeneration that he observed in his dental practice, he turned from test tubes and microscopes to unstudied evidence among human beings. Dr. Price sought the factors responsible for fine teeth among the people who had them–isolated non-industrialized people."

Hope this helps!

Offline jillirish

• Student
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 06:00:42 AM »
Thanks so much for the reply.  This information has been very helpful!

Offline shelleyvanwyk

• Student
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 09:42:57 AM »
The ongoing debate over fluoride in toothpaste can be so confusing depending on who you talk to. I appreciated reading the linked article about holistic dentistry, and I am  curious what other ingredient is recommended in place of fluoride to protect teeth from cavities. Our pediatrician of course recommends no fluoride at all and suggests the use of Spry toothpaste with xylitol. Our dentist, however, strongly encourages the use of some fluoride and says that a pea size amount should be used, but not ingested and that it’s not dangerous unless you are to ingest at least a teaspoon of it. I don’t know how it is possible to explain this to a toddler though. She recommends the use of CariFree CTx4 Gel 1100. In my own research I am finding that without the use of fluoride, there have been significant increases in the number of kids with cavities. So while I don’t want to use fluoride, I am curious what other natural recommendations are out there?

Offline Nori

• Faculty
    • Radiant Vitality
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 02:27:02 PM »
Fluoride is a naturally occurring element but the form and dose are important to note. One can get a certain amount from green tea, for example.  But the problem is that the form used in water and toothpaste is not biocompatible and can be quite toxic.  In China where fluoride is naturally found in the water, the inhabitants are bent over due to severe bone problems.  The dose considered appropriate in fluoridated communities is 1 ppm (part per million), but Proctor  & Gamble's own studies showed that amount can cause chromosomal abnormalities. (they make Crest, BTW).  Unfortunately, fluoride's addition to our drinking water was a handshake deal with industry to dispose of aluminum-laced by-products of the fertilizer/weapon/aluminum companies during WW2, painting the benefits --- whiter teeth-- so communities would buy into it.   

Cavities can be averted with good pre-natal and post-natal nutrition.  CURE TOOTH DECAY by Ramiel Nagel is a good, easy-to-read book on how parents restored their daughter's dental health through nutrient-dense foods.  Further info can easily be found at www.westonaprice.org

Nori M. Hudson, BA, MS
Instructor, Bauman College, Berkeley
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition by and Registered with NANP
Certified Diet Counselor, Nutrition Educator,  Nutrition Consultant, and Nutrition Teacher through Bauman College

Offline Laura Knoff

• Faculty
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 06:40:27 PM »
I totally agree with Nori. The dose makes the poison. The dentist cannot guarantee that your child will not swallow at least some of the fluoride and the dosage adds up with each exposure. Here is a link to Ramiel Nagel's book on how to prevent tooth decay and support total health as well. https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/cure-tooth-decay-ramiel-nagel/1029380351?
The health of the mouth reflects the health of the body. My advice is never eat sugar or dried fruit and if you do to brush afterwards. Fat soluble vitamins A. D3. E and K2 are key to improving tooth health.
You may also want to look at the Flouride Action Network (fan.org) for more info on the problems of fluoride.
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Certified Nutrition Consultant, Nutrition Instructor, Nutrition Educator and Diet Counselor
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition and Registered with NANP
Nutrition Educator and Nutrition Consultant Instructor at Bauman College since 2000