Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Cold Busting Broccoli, Ginger, White bean soup  (Read 511 times)

Offline heididonohue

Cold Busting Broccoli, Ginger, White bean soup
« on: December 19, 2018, 08:42:55 PM »
Broccoli, Ginger and White Bean Soup

My family seems to keep coming down with the same cold this past couple of months. I found this immune boosting soup recipe (Hemsley and Helmsley, 2012) and wanted to pass it on. The soup is amazing and has helped nurture my family and I back to health. It is full of ginger, cayenne, black pepper, and garlic to not only boost the immune system but to also help the body maintain heat and circulation. The blended beans give it a great creamy consistency.

It contains:

- Broccoli which is full of antioxidants, high in vitamin C, calcium, and folate

-Ginger- aids digestion and a warming effect on the body

-Cayenne pepper- boosts antifungal properties and helps remove toxins from the body, nourish the heart, and fortify health

-Cilantro- helps to rid the body of heavy metals, protects against oxidative stress, protects against cardiovascular disease, and is full of vitamins

It also contains onions, lots of garlic and bone broth, all wonderful healing foods

Ingredients:

4 cups broccoli stalks and heads, roughly chopped

2 large onions, roughly chopped

5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped

4 inches (approx) peeled ginger, roughly chopped

1 Tbs coconut oil

1 small pinch Cayenne pepper

1 liter of homemade stock, bone broth or water

2-3 Tbs tamari

2-3 pinches of sea salt

1 large pinch of black pepper

4 large handfuls of cilantro, roughly chopped or torn

1 can drained white beans (cannelloni, haricot, butter) or 1 ½ cups soaked and boiled white beans

Cold pressed flax oil or Omega Oil

1 large handful of toasted nuts and seeds

Instructions:

1. In a large saucepan gently sauté the onions, garlic, ginger and cayenne pepper in the coconut oil for 5 minutes

2. Add broccoli stalks and ¾ of the stock (add more stock later for consistency)

3. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on med heat for 8 minutes

4. Next add the broccoli heads, the beans and the cilantro

5. After 5 minutes, pierce the broccoli with a knife. If tender turn off the heat and let cool slightly before blending. If you wish you can remove a few of the florets for serving on top of your soup.

6. Add the fresh lime juice, the Tamari, sea salt, pepper and blend. Taste for seasoning

7. Serve immediately sprinkled with toasted nuts and a drizzle of flax oil. Add more Cayenne if you like.

I added a few handfuls of Kale and a couple more cloves of garlic to this recipe and it was great. Miso can also be used if you have no broth on hand.

Reference:

Hemsley & Hemsley(2012). Hemsley and Hemsley: Broccoli, Ginger, and White bean Soup. Vogue.UK. Retrieved from https://www.vogue.co.uk/article/hemsley-and-hemsley-broccoli-ginger-and-white-bean-soup

anything