Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Protein Powders -- which kind and why?  (Read 203 times)

Offline maddiury

Protein Powders -- which kind and why?
« on: December 31, 2018, 01:03:27 PM »
For the past year I have been getting more involved with weight lifting at my gym. To prepare and restore my muscles, I've been drinking protein shakes made with various protein powders. The one that I take now. is an Organic, plant-based brand called Orgain. Link below. I am starting to realize that after I drink it I feel bloated for a few hours. I noticed that there are some rice proteins, dextrins and brans in the ingredients that might be causing this. Has anyone else had this reaction and are there any other protein powders that have worked better for you? What do you do to restore your muscles after a work out?

https://www.amazon.com/Orgain-Organic-Protein-Non-GMO-Packaging/dp/B06VT7WPWF/ref=asc_df_B06VT7WPWF/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583657821819200&psc=1

Offline Laura Knoff

• Faculty
Re: Protein Powders -- which kind and why?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 01:09:02 PM »
Protein powders are not a whole food and therefore you are not getting everything that would be in a natural protein source in its natural ratio. The ability to digest and use protein is dependent on many nutrients includng zinc and vitamins A and C. That said, some of the better protein powders are not plant based. Cold processed whey protein and collagen proteins have a better record for digestibility and efficacy, but consider improving digestion first. Slow down, chew your smoothie, try apple cider vinegar before eating or take bitters. If that doesn't help use digestive enzymes after each meal. You cannot use what you do not digest.
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Certified Nutrition Consultant, Nutrition Instructor, Nutrition Educator and Diet Counselor
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition and Registered with NANP
Nutrition Educator and Nutrition Consultant Instructor at Bauman College since 2000