Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Food for people living with multiple sclerosis  (Read 461 times)

Offline bethblakeney

• Student
Food for people living with multiple sclerosis
« on: February 19, 2019, 07:15:14 PM »
My mom is a warrior living with primary progressive multiple sclerosis which is the type that never gives you a break of symptoms and continuously gets worse over time. I have learned that a primarily plant based diet is best for combating MS symptoms. My dad is a meat and potatoes kind of guy though so transitioning into a plant based diet for her is challenging and expensive. Does anyone have any advice on this topic?

Offline Laura Knoff

• Faculty
Re: Food for people living with multiple sclerosis
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 03:56:43 PM »
She should check out the work of Dr Terry Wahls in her book "The Wahls Protocol" and website. She outlines a diet that consists of 9 cups of vegetables (green leafy, cruciferous, and rainbow colorful) pasture raised meats and animal fats. Also no dairy, no grains, beans, nuts or seeds, and no sugar or refined anything. Dr Wahls reversed her symptoms of debilitating and progressive MS using this system. She is taking patients long distance and doing a long term study on this. Her group of Wahls' Warriors are getting better.  This is the best studied and most logical diet for autoimmune  conditions to date.  https://terrywahls.com/about-the-wahls-protocol/
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Certified Nutrition Consultant, Nutrition Instructor, Nutrition Educator and Diet Counselor
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition and Registered with NANP
Nutrition Educator and Nutrition Consultant Instructor at Bauman College since 2000

Offline rebeccaweideman

• Student
Re: Food for people living with multiple sclerosis
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2019, 09:45:26 PM »
Hi Beth!
I want to start by acknowledging the struggle your mom must be facing, and honor her and all of you for the challenge it takes to become educated, aware, and invested in making lifestyle changes in the area of wellness and nutrition (that will make a great positive impact on everyone). It's so important to feel supported when we're suffering chronic illness, and clearly you're actively doing this by posting here. :)

I encourage you to check out a website called mshope.com--created by a gentleman named Matt Embry who is living with MS. His website provides a plethora of information regarding how he manages his own nutrition for his illness. He also provides ample references for the science behind his nutritional plan at: www.direct-ms.org

As far as expense, I myself had to transition to a plant-based diet for some chronic health issues, and I actually found it to be less expensive than eating meat--so I hope that helps.
Best,
Becca Weideman
Integrative Health Coach