Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: Rosacea  (Read 479 times)

Offline georgiabennettramseur

• Student
Rosacea
« on: February 28, 2019, 05:45:26 PM »
Hello! Has anyone health with rosacea and found anything that really worked for them nutritionally and in terms of lifestyle? I have had a horrible rash on my cheeks since September. All of my skincare is on point and I am certain the cause is internal, as Rosacea is said to be. I have tried to address it through elimination diets and gut health protocols, but have also recently read that it can be indicative of an overloaded liver. I'm trying to have a peaceful relationship with food so I don't want to jump into any one protocol without too much direction. Any thoughts, resources, etc would be wonderful!

Offline carolinepeterson

Re: Rosacea
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 01:26:39 PM »
Hi Georgia,

So sorry to hear! I don't have any formal documentation right at hand, but I've recently found a regimen that has worked well for me. I'll caveat by saying that I had a slight case of Rosacea; my face doesn't get so much splotchy as it was just red overall, so you may need to find a tweak or add to some of the suggestions, depending on the severity of your case.

I'll preface with I am not a doctor, obviously. But this is what has worked for me:

1. Check your skin care products. Be sure your face wash, toner, lotion, and makeup are free to added scents, parabens, sulfates, etc. If you can swap them out with all-natural products, that's ideal! I found an exceptional esthetician in San Francisco who makes all-natural skin care products, which has made a huge difference. She had me swap over to Bare Minerals makeup. 

1a. On that note, find a great esthetician! Even if your diet is perfect, skin can clogged through years of layering makeup, which will contribute to inflammation and redness over time. Your esthetician may be able to consult your best remedy, whether it's exfoliating or moisturizing more frequently.

2. Eliminate processed oils - no vegetable oil, canola oil. I only use pure olive or avocado oil (and splurge for the good stuff. It's never worth buying cheap oil at the risk of additives).

3. Eliminate inflammatory foods, like soy, dairy, gluten, alcohol as best you can. This all echos your theory that it's likely rooted in a stressed liver.  Depending on your diet today, this could be challenging. I saw huge results by mostly eliminating soy and vegetable oils, so just start where you can!

4. Drink lots of tea -- chamomile, dandelion, and green tea have been my saviors! I drink 2-3 cups throughout the day. And plenty of water, always.

5. I take  zinc, magnesium and milk thistle in supplement form once a day. Zinc helps regulate immune function; magnesium helps reduce inflammation; milk thistle helps promote healthy liver function.

Overall, I see a huge difference in redness when I'm really looking after my diet and skin care routine.

Wishing you all the best in health,
Caroline

Offline georgiabennettramseur

• Student
Re: Rosacea
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 07:03:43 AM »
Caroline, thank you so much for your response! It's so helpful to hear on a personal level what has worked for someone else. I appreciate you pointing out the oils because while they are definitely not in my regular diet they do have their way of sneaking in and perhaps I could be more careful. I have celiac so I don't eat gluten and the other inflammatory foods you mentioned are also not in my regular rotation but again, I could be more careful! Finally, my skincare is natural as that is a passion of mine but I wonder if it could be as simple as cleansing more thoroughly, etc. Thank you for suggesting the supplements and teas as well! You helped bring me back to earth and realize a small tweak could be the answer, as apposed to going on a full blown auto-immune protocol or something of the like.