Bauman College Programs

Author Topic: cod liver oil  (Read 437 times)

Offline shelleyvanwyk

• Student
cod liver oil
« on: March 27, 2019, 03:26:14 PM »
I have been taking Green Pastures fermented cod liver oil for a few years now, and have seen and felt great improvements from this, especially during my pregnancies. Both of my little guys take it now too. I recently came across a conflicting article regarding Green Pastures and a study by Kaayla Daniel that was done, however, many friends and colleagues take and love this brand like I do.

I am curious if anyone is familiar with Rositas (as suggested by Chris Kresser in this article:
https://chriskresser.com/important-update-on-cod-liver-oil/) or another brand I've heard good things about is https://omega3innovations.com/. Any other recommendations on cod liver oil?

Offline Laura Knoff

• Faculty
Re: cod liver oil
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 05:44:57 PM »
I would  note that Ms Daniel practices in Arizona where temperatures can contribute to rapid oxidation of the FCLO. This would result in much greater needs for antioxidants and negative effects when these are inadequate. Those who have good antioxidant reserves would not feel negative symptoms. Additional issues with fermented cod liver oil (FCLO)  may be due to how some people are very sensitive to  fermented foods because of a genetic variation in their DAO gene.  I have used both Green Pastures FCLO and Rosita's and find both to be good products for me, but not for everyone. Both are available at Three Stone Hearth in Berkeley.   
Addressing Omega 3 Innovations: Fish oil is not the same as cod liver oil, and not all cod liver oil contains the fat soluble vitamins they traditionally contain in balance. Usually a company will remove the fishy flavor compounds from the CLO. Unfortunately vitamins are also removed in that process. Some companies add some vitamin D back, but the vitamin balance is lost. Some people need both CLO and fish oil to get enough omega 3 fatty acids without overloading on vitamns A, D3, and K2. We need to be aware that everyone is different and make recommendations accordingly.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 05:46:44 PM by Laura Knoff »
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Certified Nutrition Consultant, Nutrition Instructor, Nutrition Educator and Diet Counselor
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition and Registered with NANP
Nutrition Educator and Nutrition Consultant Instructor at Bauman College since 2000

Offline shelleyvanwyk

• Student
Re: cod liver oil
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 09:03:55 PM »
Thank you, Laura. This is really helpful feedback and I appreciate the time you took to post.

anything