Bauman College Programs

Poll

Is there scientific evidence showing that doing a fast can contribute to the development of SIBO?

yes
1 (100%)
no
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: The role of fasting in SIBO  (Read 289 times)

Offline marianasanchez

• Student
The role of fasting in SIBO
« on: April 09, 2019, 10:45:49 PM »
Lately I've seen a lot of people in social media who were eating a plant based diet who have recently been diagnosed with SIBO, and although meat lovers want to say that happened because they're eating only plants I couldn't help but think that it had to be something different since SIBO occurs in all types of diets, not just plant based, and also I noticed one thing that all these plant based diet influencers who were just diagnosed with SIBO had in common: fasting. I wonder if there is a correlation there? Does anyone have information on that? Thanks!

Offline Laura Knoff

• Faculty
Re: The role of fasting in SIBO
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 05:06:17 PM »
Interestingly fasting can be used to reduce the symptoms of SIBO, if the fasting is not excessive and overall nutrients are adequate. When people fast and do not get enough nutrition the thyroid, digestion, immune system and IC valve may not function efficiently.  Many diets can contribute to SIBO because they have too much of the fermentable carbohydrates such as beans, grains, and starchy vegetables. When carbs ferment they can create gas, bloating and toxic byproducts that irritate the small bowel. Go to SIBOINFO.ORG  for more information on the causes and treatments for SIBO.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 05:07:59 PM by Laura Knoff »
Bachelor of Science, Chemistry
Certified Nutrition Consultant, Nutrition Instructor, Nutrition Educator and Diet Counselor
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition and Registered with NANP
Nutrition Educator and Nutrition Consultant Instructor at Bauman College since 2000

Offline nedalbarakat

• Student
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 07:37:56 PM »
I still remember the amazing affect of fasting on my mom witch she have ben dishonest with SIBO for more than 30 years  ago and I still remember when the month of Ramadan will come and she will fast for more than 18 h. before the sun rise and tell the sun set every day for 30 days no food or water tell the sun go down and how she will feel great and here DR. will engager here to fast.
I would like to know the influence of fasting if any in SIBO
THANKS     

Offline Lila.Volkas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 12:46:54 PM »
Check out https://www.siboinfo.com/ for more info on SIBO an https://medium.com/lifeomic/why-your-gut-microbes-love-intermittent-fasting-5716948281a3 for more info about out gut microbes like intermittent fasting!